Help Needed !!!

brancoady

Baseband Member
Hi everybody, Im new here :D

Not sure if anybody here will be able to help me with this or not, but I thought it would be the best place to ask!

I have an exam to complete very soon, however have never come accross a few of the topics. I have searched all over the internet and cannot seem to find anything to help me anywhere. If anybody can help I would be very grateful the "questions" are posted below:

1. "it is not possible to create a game that can be played on consoles, hand held consoles and mobile phones in the same format. Explain why."

2. "Explain in detail the rewasons why the same sound and picture formats cannot be used accross all game platforms"

3. Suggest some solutions to the above problems, with examples in as much detail as possible.

Thankyou very much guys, will appreciate any replies :)

Brancoady

Not sure what the truth is, but i can take a stab at it for you. I belive they need different formats because of the operating systems they use. Not sure what OS's things like that use, but when you stop and think about it, it kinda makes sense.

for 2, you could probally argue the same point.

as for three, well, going off of my first reason, you could either A) make a universal format that through testing, would work with many different counsols and phones, or B) make a new OS for all of the above to work on.

like i said, i'm taking a shot in the dark here, but that makes sense to me. I'd wait to see what others think before taking my word on it.

ok well for number 1

the code has to be different because they all have different cpus (processors) and they take different instructions and are optimized for different things. also, you need a special version for each console because some of the consoles/phones aren't capable of displaying the game the same way as another console might

number 2

each console uses a hardware sound decoder. and not software. so there is a specified format that has to go into it. it only plays that one format, so each console has to have a different format for the audio.

well im not an expert, but linux works on phones, consoles and computers, i dunno if thats just a technicality, but it could

boardordi3 said:
well im not an expert, but linux works on phones, consoles and computers, i dunno if thats just a technicality, but it could
yes but it is compiled differently for each one

as are the games

brancoady said:
Hi everybody, Im new here :D

Not sure if anybody here will be able to help me with this or not, but I thought it would be the best place to ask!

I have an exam to complete very soon, however have never come accross a few of the topics. I have searched all over the internet and cannot seem to find anything to help me anywhere. If anybody can help I would be very grateful the "questions" are posted below:

1. "it is not possible to create a game that can be played on consoles, hand held consoles and mobile phones in the same format. Explain why."

2. "Explain in detail the rewasons why the same sound and picture formats cannot be used accross all game platforms"

3. Suggest some solutions to the above problems, with examples in as much detail as possible.

Thankyou very much guys, will appreciate any replies :)

Brancoady

1: You could, java games run on phones and computers and could run on alot of hand held consoles.

2: Virtually everything can handle BMP and wav

A massive thankyou to everybody who has replied, you have helped me a lot!!

Now just for the remainder of the 15 hour exam :| haha!

Thanks again :)

Bran

Back
Top Bottom