New compressed air fueled cars

ya you would need a scuba tank compressor, thats what they use to fill my compressed air tanks for paintball, its 4500psi

David Lindon said:
5K psi!! thats some preasure. I wonder if there is any safety issues with something like that

there is, very much so! You need to rehydrostatic test fiber wrapped tanks once every 3 years in Canada and I believe once every 4 or 5 in the U.S.
But anyways, I know a guy at my local paintball shop that had a tank blow on him (I believe it was at the fill valve) when he was filling it and it broke his arm and damaged a couple walls as it bounced around the place. If the tank used to fuel your car got pierced in an accident the damage would be quite severe.

wood_workur said:
and yeah, in an accident as cabbspapp said, those things would blow like mad. it would be like those ford cards (50's they were made, I think) that had the really thin gas tanks...

ah yes the Ford Pinto. I don't think its as old as the 50's tho. all i do know is my mom drove one when she was my age (16) and she's 40-sumthing now. i'll let you do the math see as how i just finished my math homework and don't really feel like doing more.

celegorm said:
ah yes the Ford Pinto. I don't think its as old as the 50's tho. all i do know is my mom drove one when she was my age (16) and she's 40-sumthing now. i'll let you do the math see as how i just finished my math homework and don't really feel like doing more.

yeah. And now that I think about it, it was the 70's/80's

Brookfield said:
Motorway; 70 mph max, car 68 mph max = minus 2 mph.

motorway = whatever speed i go at depending on how late i am

honestly, who apart from trucks and old people go 70 on the motorway? i was going at 80/90 most of the way thismorning and i was still being overtaken

mark thorpe said:
motorway = whatever speed i go at depending on how late i am, honestly, who apart from trucks and old people go 70 on the motorway? i was going at 80/90 most of the way thimorning and i was still being overtaken
I don't really care how much you exceed the speed limit mate, that's your choice, but perhaps trucks that have tachographs & governors that limit their speed [except perhaps some continental vehicles] & old people are safer, I've seen the results on TV of some horrific accidents where car drivers have been driving at excessive speeds & had a blow-out, resulting in their deaths, surprisingly in around 60% of the cases the tyres have had plenty of tread, being fairly new, I think I've mentioned before that one of my relatives is in the police, as a motorway patrol driver, a couple of months ago, a car about 200 yards ahead of him had a blow-out, it flew into the air, hit a barrier, rebounded, hit the central barrier, & ended up in front of his car, & it was only the fact that that he was very experienced, that he managed to avoid the wreckage, that car had '06 plates & was a Volvo 3 litre Sports, hard top, the driver was killed instantly, his body was so entangled that it had to be removed in several pieces, the air-bags had been deployed but the one on the drivers side had burst, resulting in his skull being crushed, sorry to be so graphic, but there is a big lesson to be learnt here Mark, better you're late, rather than the late lamented, do take care in the future.

actually, most trucks don't go 70 on the motorway since they are limited.

TBH, I'm not a great fan of speeding. but 70 is a hard limit to stick to.

I think that car is sounding massivly impractical now, a few hours with a compressor running each night, I mean I only have to rdive twenty miles to work, (though it'll be 35 miles when I start a new job in two weeks).

the fact that you can't just fill it anywhere, (I mean I was never expecting a miracle), but this air only car is ridiculous, I can't see as there will be that many air stations for quite a while! -it needs to be a hybrid with a petrol engine as well!

I guess at the end of the day you'll get what you pay for, and for only five grand, you don't get an awful lot when it comes to cars!

The speed limit in this country is massively outdated, it was put place when 70 mph was a fast speed for a car, and had crap breaks, crap steering etc...

Personally I find people driving along at 70mph more of a hazard then people driving about 85mph, its not the speed that kills its the drivers not paying attention, playing on their phones, drunk or whatever...

You should try going down the M6 toll road at 70mph, that road I swear is built for 100+ speeds.....I love going down it

I agree with that, and I tend to travel at what I consider a safe speed for my car, regardless of the limits.

that is to say sometimes under limit, sometimes over limit depending on the road, and conditions.

the limits might have been put in place when brakes were crappier, (I believe the distances and limits are based on the Austin 5?)

but you have to remember that there are still some of these old/crappy cars on the roads.

Back
Top Bottom