Looking at making an external hardrive for laptop

Fisher

Fully Optimized
Ok i want an external hard drive for my laptop and other things. I need to know what is the best connection, USB, firewire, can you get ones that you can plug in as a SATA connection to the mobo if needed? what are good makes?

i dont need a hard drive as I have a 250Gb SATA one already. i just need the external box. one more thing if you are going to post nay links to any websites could oyu make it UK ones if possible?

muz379 said:
usb is technically faster but a lot of people say that firewire is faster in practice , i have an external usb drive and it is fast enough for backup and running big vids off like whol episodes of tvprogrammes , 300MB+ so usb should be fine

icybox xis a good company for theese kind of boxe's
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(11923)IcyBox-IB351UBBL-35-IDE-to-USB20-Blue-LED.aspx

cheers mate USB was top on my list as its more available on computers but if firewire was faster i might of gone for that.

a lot of people do say firewire is fsaster , i havent used it on an external drive so idk but basically on paper usb shoulde be faster , even so if you are just using the drive for music or other stuff it should be ok , i wouldnt install any software on an external drive

Yeah they do say FireWire is faster, but USB is more widely available and easier....as Muz said if your only using it for basic things such as backing up and storing music etc, then USB will be fine...

Matt

ill go for usb then as im only using it for storing and swapping stuff between computers

usb should be good for that , like usb flash drives , usb is the most common for removeable drives , i dont see anyfirewire flash drives

Back
Top Bottom