Wierd graphics issue

lemmin

Solid State Member
This is not my computer, so I don't know exactly what has changed to cause this problem.

The computer starts up normally. The first noticable oddity is on the "Windows is starting up" (or whatever) screen, odd colors and wierd stripes come through it randomly. Sometimes it looks normaly, but there will be a wierd color in one single spot. After that, the desktop comes up and everything seems normal; however, upon trying to open windows of any kind, the screen will flash to black for a second at times. Other times, it would seem that the computer is locking up, but it is really just the mouse (and usually keyboard) losing connection (the lights go out). When this happens, graphical errors occur. An example would be that it may look like two windows are overlapping. Once the mouse and keyboard come back to life, the screen usually will do its flashing thing.

I have tried a lot of troubleshooting. I can tell you that the CPU temperature is fine and the RAM is fine. I have tried the computer with just a keyboard with no change. It is running Windows 2000 and has been repaired with no change.

One thing changes how the computer acts; if I uninstall the graphics drivers (Nvidia Geforce4 MX440), it will work perfectly fine (same with starting in safemode). Upon reinstalling the drivers, it acts up again. I have tried two different versions of the drivers and I tried installing only the drivers (no software bundle thingy). It doesn't seem like the video card would be bad.

Any ideas on how I can get the videocard to work?

Thank you for the suggestions but, like I said, I have tried two different version of the drivers, one being the newest forceware 93.71. The issue occurs immediately upon restarting the computer with any video drivers aside from the default one that Windows uses in safemode (any being the only two I could find).

If you have tried the newest ones without success, then start working your way backwards with the drivers, sometimes the newer ones are buggy. Maybe try uninstalling the drivers in safe mode and then rebooting and going through the install process again, that sometimes works.

You could maybe just use system restore aswell, if it has been ok previously.

Back
Top Bottom