Win Xp Recovery Options

Raveboy

Baseband Member
I am currently tryin to do a XP recovery using a recovery disk.

After inserting the disk the computer boots up to the following screen message:

To set up windows on selected item press enter

The items are:
C: partition 1 (backup) (fat 32)
D: partition 2 (HDD) (fat 32)
unpartitoned space

Which partition should I use?

I choose 'D: partition 2 (HDD) fat32' and all seems okay so far.

But I did choose to format it as NTFS.

Sounds more like your installing than doing a recovery.

Also, you should always use NTFS with XP, unless your dual booting with something like 98 and you need access to all partitions.

Have you formatted the D partition to NTFS? Not sure of your current setup, but if you have formatted then anything on D partition is gone.

Because you chose to format it to NTFS which is what i did when i first upgraded to XP from ME you will allways have a ntfs file system from now on (at least how thats i understand it to be anyway) ive reformatted loads of times since and only have that option now

blackjack said:
Because you chose to format it to NTFS which is what i did when i first upgraded to XP from ME you will allways have a ntfs file system from now on (at least how thats i understand it to be anyway) ive reformatted loads of times since and only have that option now
You can reformat back to FAT if you want, just coz you have used NTFS doesnt mean your stuck with it. The reason you always end up with it is because NTFS is the default.

Cheers Raffaz i didnt know that ive allways thought it was irreversable, so how do you change from NTFS back to fat32 and is it worth it?

blackjack said:
Cheers Raffaz i didnt know that ive allways thought it was irreversable, so how do you change from NTFS back to fat32 and is it worth it?
Na its not worth it IMO, you dont have the NTFS extras with FAT. You can change back using your XP disc, you simply boot from it, and when you do your clean install, you delete the partitions and then make new ones, you will be presented with FAT or NTFS then.

Thanks for the advice Raffaz, i dont think il bother, im staying with NTFS but it was nice to know it could be done.

blackjack said:
Thanks for the advice Raffaz, i dont think il bother, im staying with NTFS but it was nice to know it could be done.
No probs man, the only time you would need FAT with XP etc is if your dual booting with an OS that doesnt support NTFS.

Back
Top Bottom