Hard Drive Failure

adrian krstisto

Baseband Member
WHATS THE common causes for hd failure besides age?

i believe mine is dying. Ive had it since 2004

Im sure it should last longer then 3 years :mad:

What makes you think your hd is dying ive had mine for aboat 6/7 years, are you a heavy gamer?

Why are you saying that the drive is dying? Is it clicking or something? Any signs?

ya i have a spare HDD 8.4gigs its like 8+ years old and i have linux on it because i just wanted to try it out. works fine.
if you constanlty write to your HDD like you use it as a server HDD then it will wear out fast. the only other factor is how much\long heat it is exposed to

I used to have very old drives still run.

I'm looking to buy at a used shop, a wholesale of 10 giggers.

It just depends on what wrong is with the drive.

I've had a Maxtor 5.7GB HDD in constant use since 1998. So they can and do last a very long time.

The question is, what makes you think your hard drive is failing?

Using a UPS is the single best thing you can do for the entire system. Power surges and drop outs can play hell with drives. Head crashes and heat are high on the list also. Make sure your case is well ventilated and clean.
Things that give away a drive is failing is files corrupted, scan and check disk keep telling you you have bad sectors that it can't recover, and that click, click, click. But modern drives are pretty rugged. So I think you'd really have to work at killing one.

Back
Top Bottom