Wireless Networking Question?

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hey,

Well I know basic networking, and mainly only wired, not wireless...so I got a quick and simple question.....My mate just got a new laptop for work, and he has an exsisting desktop connected to broadband with a standard ADSL modem.....now his laptop is wireless ready, so he wants to make the move, here is a diagram...
Sorry for my lack of Paint skills :p

router.jpg

Is it possible to plug the standard modem into one of the 4 ports, and share the internet connection? Or will I have to buy a wireless router/modem instead?

Thanks,

Matt

As you have diagrammed, you will need to plug the ASDL modem into the internet port of the wireless router. You will then connect to computer to one of the ethernet ports and the laptop will connect wirelessly.

Thanks for the reply,

So if I purchased This I would plug the Ethernet from the modem into the corresponding WAN port on this model....It's not a modem, right?

Sorry if I'm sounding dumb lol...not the best when it comes to wireless

Matt

Correct. Just plug the ASDL modem into the WAN port, configure your connections, and you're good to go.

Yes, the Netgear WGR614 is a wireless router. :D

OK, think iv'e got it now lol...be my first encounter with wireless so it'll be a good learning curve

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Back
Top Bottom