Sending Out An Sos

Raveboy

Baseband Member
When I start up the computer I get the message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup cd-rom
Select 'r' at first screen to start repair

I recently purcased a external hard drive with some software for data back up (Nero) I think I started getting these problems after the installation of the software.

What can I do to get Windows up and running again?

I can't put in windows setup disk because the computer came with XP preinstalled and I wasn't given the operating system on disk.

without an xp cd you dont really have many options. if you have the key just download a torrent and burn on cd, maybe using a friends pc. you could even borrow an xp disc.

would my windows 2000 disc work with the repair on it OR my Win XP upgrade disc?

Anyhow why did my computet start playing up like this?

your windows xp upgrade disc should work. im not exactly sure why its doing this

Try using last known good configuration if you can, and if that doesnt work then try and get into safe mode then you should be to either remove/rollback the driver, or use system restore.

When you first boot the computer keep tapping F8 till you get the menu on with safe mode etc, if you get a different menu then its a boot menu (some BIOSes have this) just select your HDD press enter, then tap F8 again to get the right menu.

Back
Top Bottom