File Compression Utility Recommendations

Uiop

Solid State Member
I need a file compresser utility that can pack more than 4 million HTML files (totaling a bit over 40GB), into a single 4.5GB archive. Ideally, this archive will be able to be accessed (and a single file pulled out), without loading the entire archive. The archive file will be created on a 3.2 GHz Intel Celeron machine, with 512MB of RAM. Is this possible? What file compression utility should I use?

Good Luck lol....I don't think anything can compress 40gb into 4gb, thats just way too much, and on a Celeron you would be there for years...The best file compressor that I know about is WinACE or WinRAR, but I can guarantee you won't be compressing 40gb into 4.5

Matt

I know that it's possible with one file compresser: when I recieved these files they were compressed in 7zip format and totaled about 6GB. I deleted 40 to 50% of the files, but cannot use 7zip to recompress the files for two reasons:
1) The 7zip format (to the best of my knowledge), requires you to load the entire archive in order to extract one file.
2) I get "Error: Unable to allocate required memory." (or something like that) when I try.

I know I don't have the best computer setup, but I put it together for $150!

That's not the easiest thing to do, the files I need to compress are located in 3,114 main folders, which are each sub-divided. Some of these main folders contain a couple hundred files, some contain a couple ten thousand.

Mirror the image? Whatever do you mean?

The properties window finally finished updating, and the folder that needs compressed is smaller than I thought it was: its actual size is 27.6GB, its size on the disk is 36GB and it is comprised of 3,215,944 files located in 62,044 folders.

What I'm really asking for is a free file compressor that can compress HTML well.

Back
Top Bottom