Laptop freezes after 5-10 minutes. Recently reformatted and had 1 GB ram installed.

Re: Laptop freezes after 5-10 minutes. Recently reformatted and had 1 GB ram installed.

Good, hope it stays like that, pcs r a pain, mine has been playing up tonite, ggggrrrrrr lol

So I reformatted again today at the campus Help Desk after I came back from basketball and saw my laptop was frozen AGAIN!

And it is still freezing.

The RAM seems to be doing it's job until it freezes (I see an improvement in my computer's performance).

So, I've downloaded something from Microsoft's website "Ram Tester" diagnostic tool.

I'm going to see what results that gives me.

If the results of the Microsoft diagnostic I downloaded are good...
1.) Should I have the installation lady pop out and pop back in the RAM? and then see if I still get the problems?
2.) Should I have her remove the RAM and see if I still get the problems?
3.) Could it be that my power cable does not give enough power for the RAM upgrade?

Re: Laptop freezes after 5-10 minutes. Recently reformatted and had 1 GB ram installed.

Microsoft RAM diagnostic tests were all Successful.

Can my RAM still be bad?

I updated my BIOS to my most current version now.

Instead of freezing, there some to be occassional slowdowns and then it fixes itself.

Try running memtest, have you actually tried removing the new RAM like suggested above? That seems to be the obvious problem, especially if it was fine before the RAM upgrade.

I ran memtest and after like an hour (101.2% coverage) it gave 0 errors.

Run it overnight iff possible, thats not long enough

can you show me the website to download it . i want to make sure i'm using the right program

Thanks (I will run that overnight).

UPDATE:
Ever since I installed the Java update that kept popping up in my taskbar... the slowdowns/freezes have stopped. Hopefully that was the problem. I'll keep you guys updated to see if I get any more slowdowns or freezes.

i dont see how java can freeze your pc... hmmm dunno. hopefully it will be ok

Back
Top Bottom