Laptop freezes after 5-10 minutes. Recently reformatted and had 1 GB ram installed.

rocket1406

In Runtime
Hey guys.

I re-imaged my laptop yesterday.

I didn't notice any freezing problems.

Today I had 1 GB RAM extra installed by my college repair center for free.

Today I noticed my laptop randomly freezes (twice in Windows, and once while shutting down).

Freeze = it looks like my mouse isn't moving ... everything stops moving ... control alt delete doesn't bring up the end program thing.

Is it the memory upgrade (dxdiag shows 1.5 GB now, but maybe my RAM is loose or something) or a problem with the reformat?

Thanks very much.

Re: Laptop freezes after 5-10 minutes. Recently reformatted and had 1 GB ram installed.

Take out the extra ram if it still crashes then u know the ram isnt to blame (make sure utake out the newly installed on tho) if it stops crashing then its most likely bad ram. Try reseating it and then see what happens.

Re: Laptop freezes after 5-10 minutes. Recently reformatted and had 1 GB ram installed.

yea. also try a different slot for the new ram (if you have a spare)

Anubis1980 said:
Take out the extra ram if it still crashes then u know the ram isnt to blame (make sure utake out the newly installed on tho) if it stops crashing then its most likely bad ram. Try reseating it and then see what happens.

He means "make sure you take out the newly installed ONE though"... dont leave the comp on LOL, sorry to correct you but that typo can cause alot of problems if he is not quite sure what hes doing

i agree with the other posters but also check how much ram the slots can take each and how much ram the motherboard can take if it is old it may only be able to take 1gb and remain stable when it has to use alot of ram it may crash its too much for the mobo to handle .... just an idea

if the pc cant accept over 1gb of ram surely it wont boot up or it will just display 1gb of ram in the properties. you could try the new ram on its own. if there is a problem it may not boot up.

Bob94571 said:
He means "make sure you take out the newly installed ONE though"... dont leave the comp on LOL, sorry to correct you but that typo can cause alot of problems if he is not quite sure what hes doing

Lol thanx for seeing that, im terrible!

lol that could of ended in a disaster :O
@anubis, nice 777 posts :)

so some new developments.

Since I've made this topic... the laptop has not crashed (this is like 5 hours later).

I've tried to semi-"push" the laptop's RAM to see if that is what was wrong (I opened up 8 Mozilla Firefoxes, 4 Windows Media Players, 3 Internet explorers, AIM, and Winamp) and it still has not crashed.

So hopefully (knock on wood) my laptop has somehow fixed itself and I won't need to worry about it again. If in the case that it starts freezing again, I'll have my college repair center inspect the RAM with me.

Thanks!

glad to hear its ok. for me problems like that occur quite often and they fix themselves, pretty good really :p

Back
Top Bottom