Laptop's DVD Drive being lame...

crazyjoe16

In Runtime
I have a Compaq Presario R3000. Lately I've been having some serious problems with its DVD/CD drive. Sometimes I will turn on my computer and have to wait on the Compaq screen for up to 5-6 minutes. Once everything finally loads, I go to my computer and find that my DVD drive is missing. I go into hardware manager, no DVD drive. Its gone. Yet, it's there because I can definitely press the little eject button on it and it pops out, and when I put a CD in, it makes some noise like its working, but only for a few seconds. Then, nothing.

This happens for weeks at a time, then magically, one day, the Compaq screen is only there for 2 seconds on startup! And my DVD drive is detected and working! Hooray! Then a few weeks later, oh no, its happening again, it's simply not working. Then the process is repeated, it will work for a while, not work for a while, work for a while, etc.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? I don't use CDs very often, but it seems like whenever I do need to use one, that's when my drive isn't working. And sitting on the Compaq screen for 5 minutes everytime I start my computer getsreally old.

PS - Anyone who helps me gets a cookie.

COOOOKIE! lol

Are the drive cables attached properly? not come loose when the laptop has been moved around. Happens sometimes (hence the intermittent faults). Do u have anything installed that might interfer with the drive? ive heard sometimes Roxio can make a few drives stop working (my drive isnt working well eiher and ive installed roxio...). Lastly its just possible the drive is knackered, they dont last forever, how old is the laptop?

yea if you arnt that careful with your laptop, ie: its been dropped then a cable may have come loose. have you installed/done anything that you think may be the problem (think back). tbh it sounds like a v dogey cable or its knackered.

I've always been very careful with my laptop, never dropped it or aything like that; its only about a year and a half old, and I have no idea how to flash my bios, so I doubt I have done that lol.

However, whoever mentioned Roxio got me thinking. This whole drive problem started up again right after I installed Roxio now that I'd thought about it. So I uninstalled Roxio and restarted my computer, but the problem remains.

I'll google how to flash my bios and see if that helps any. Thanks for the help guys.

Oh and... I lied. I ran out of cookies like an hour ago. xD

No cookies!! i feel cheated! -1 rep hee hee jus kidding. Yeah the place i read the roxio thing actually said that nothing short of a reformat fixes it, no idea how true this is. Some even went as far to say as it ruined it permanently but i cant see how. My dvd drive was brandnew, and its like urs, ie sometimes its found, other times it isnt, to fix it i have to unplug the power cord plug it back in and the pc finds it (whilst the power is off lol). I have another dvd drive tho and that one is fine, so we might just be unlucky and have crap drives.

try leaving your batter out of the computer overnight. I have no clue what that would really do, but it might do something good. (but it wouldn't do anything bad)

Sounds like a loose cable to me, if it were roxio, then it wouldnt be clearing up intermittantly.

Back
Top Bottom