Possible to retrieve data after reformatting? (XP)

Phumfeinz

Baseband Member
Basically, I'm being sponsored by my girlfriend to go and live in Canada, and part of the application requests proof (phone bills, photos, emails, chat logs etc) that the relationship is real, not just for convenience blah blah.

Chat logs of MSN conversations are considered proof, but unfortunately I recently needed to re-install Windows XP and of course, everything was erased.

Is there any way at all of somehow retrieving the chat logs? Or are they gone for good?

Your help is appreciated, thanks.

More than likely, gone for good. I have seen Yahoo keep a chat history, I don't think MSN has the same option. I didn't see anything, I just looked at the settings on mine. The other stuff on the computer, may be possible to get back. I use a program called Ontrack Easy Data Recovery. There are some free ones out there, just not sure what to recommend for you on the free side. Sorry I had to give the bad news...

personally i would say u can almost definately get it but i would think it would cost a bit of money but it all depends on how important it is to ya.

im pretty sure u can get it back coz of the news how many cases have u seen on the news that say peodo was arrested for chattin up girls on msn and the police are able to recover all the conversations so the technology is out there

ssc456 said:
personally i would say u can almost definately get it but i would think it would cost a bit of money but it all depends on how important it is to ya.

im pretty sure u can get it back coz of the news how many cases have u seen on the news that say peodo was arrested for chattin up girls on msn and the police are able to recover all the conversations so the technology is out there

Most companies use proxy servers, which can retain every word of any conversation on any IM protocol. I know Yahoo keeps a certain amount of information on their servers. MSN, on the other hand, I don't think does. Worth a call to Microsoft if it's that important.

if you've formatted your drive then you can still get data back.

try the software at http://www.r-studio.com/

I've used it before for simillar problems, provided that the file is small you'll be able to use the demo to recover the information, however, if you want to recover a larger file then you'll have to pay for the license,
but it is really cheap to buy, and a very useful tool if you ever find yourself needing it!

Back
Top Bottom