UK Driving Test

334_roundabout1.jpg

Thats a round about, thats what I got my major on because I couldnt decide wheather I wanted to go or not so I was messing with the gears :(

Steff said:
334_roundabout1.jpg

Thats a round about, thats what I got my major on because I couldnt decide wheather I wanted to go or not so I was messing with the gears :(
There's one in my local town, it has five entries/exits, loads of lanes, very abrupt lane changes, you come round the central hub, & you have to change lanes within 3 or 4 yards, it's difficult enough for us locals, but for the many visitors we get each summer, it must be murder for them, plenty of accidents then!, its a very large but very elongated multi-roundabout, a little while ago an eight-axled artic couldn't negotiate a turn on it, & fell on it's side completly blocking two major lanes, I had to go four miles out of my way to get home, & when all the nine sets of traffic lights fail, all together, the chaos is unbelievable!!

if you don't like roundabouts then don't go to swindon!! it's as simple as that really they seem to love them there for some awful reason...

so far as roundabouts go, I can understand why a lot of people from countries that just don't have them get a little scared by them, but there are some really simple rules, and provided that you follow them then you'll always be fine.

bascially, on the aproach to a roundabout there are usually two lanes, if you're turning left, you use the left hand lane on the apprach and signal left.

if you're going straight on, you use either the left or right hand lane on the approach, and don't signal,

if you're turning right, or comming all the way back around, you use the right hand lane on the approach and signal right.

when you get to the roundabout, if there is traffic to your left that traffic has right of way, (assuming that they can go, for instance, if there is a queue of traffic to your left, already giving way to someone comming off the roundabout where you are waiting to get on, then you just drive.

roundabouts are easy, I love 'em, there isn't anything scary at all about them, honestly they just seem to make really good sense to me!
must more sense than a light controlled intersection anyway!

I really dont understand the point of roundabouts, This could be because im from America though lol. I dont see why you dont just use a regular intersection.

I guess its what your use to I suppose. Driving on the right would confuse me like hell :p

Infin1ty said:
I really dont understand the point of roundabouts, This could be because im from America though lol. I dont see why you dont just use a regular intersection.
it's easy...

rounabouts are more efficient. people can come from all directions at once and traffic flows freely without queus building in any direction.

of course that assumes that everyone knows how to use them.

intersections have to be light controlled, or have road markings indicating the right of way for the traffic. and even if the lights have sensors, the changing times will always mean that queues build up.

in short the point of a roundabout is to keep traffic, moving.
and the fact that if you've gone the wrong way that you can just turn around and exit at the same road that you came onto is just a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom