UK Driving Test

UK31337 said:
Meh... got 7 minors and a serious on my first. Passed my second with 9 minors.

IIRC, you get minors, serious and dangerous. Dangerous faults result in an immediate termination of the test, and you have to walk back to the test centre because the examiner isn't covered by insurance to drive you back.

Serious is something which is potentially dangerous, but not dangerous at that exact instance. For instance, I got a serious for poor observation - not dangerous that time, but it could have been.
nah. on my first test I got a dangerous as described above, and still drove back.

on my second test I got a 'dangerous' so bad that the examiner actually felt the need to grab the steering wheel, though I didn't quite understand myself because I was well aware what was going on and everything. but after he'd grabbed the wheel I said to him that I didn't know what the hell he was doing and said that since I'd failed i'd like to go back, but he suggested it was better to finish the test, at least then i'd be aware of what else I needed to improve on...

third time was the charm though, passed with 3 minors, I think that was something like a missed lifesaver look, a bad gear selection and something else.

Well, with any luck I will get rid of that major and I should be fine (god help me lmao) Is it an instant fail for hitting the curb to, say on your manouvers?

it'd depend on what you were doing.
hitting the kerb would show a lack of observation. and it'd be down to the individual examiner/situation to decide if that were a serious error or not.

mostly however, no touching the kerb won't be a failure when manouvering, (turn in the road).
however mounting the kerb probably will be.

Yea, I thought that, still I best not do it :p. Like say you were reverse parking and you hit the kerb and you cant obviously reverce around anymore so pull forward then straighten up then reverse back? My instructer said you were alowed to do that, just my friends are teling me different wanting me to fail I think haha :p

I hear driving in England is a pain. From what I've heard and seen the streets are awfully narrow, traffic appears bad, and then I've heard round-a-bouts are the last place you want to be as a driver.

PCNoob said:
I hear driving in England is a pain. From what I've heard and seen the streets are awfully narrow, traffic appears bad, and then I've heard round-a-bouts are the last place you want to be as a driver.
There are many narrow roads, in & around towns & villages, it's an old old country, but there is now an ever-growing grid of motorways covering most of the country, three & four lane highways, the England you're speaking of existed in the sixties, you ought to visit us some day, the maximum speed limit on our motorways is 70 mph.

Thats one of the reasons why i like the IOW, there r lots of lil roads and it feels a much nicer place than the mainland.

Back
Top Bottom