UK Driving Test

Steff

Daemon Poster
I did my mock driving test last night and I got

1 Major
5 Minors

I have no idea what you are and arent alowed :p I've asked a few people but they all say different things 0 majors 16 minors? 1 major 16 minors? Anyone know? :p Cheers

This is from the RAC website...

How many mistakes are allowed on a Driving Test?

Try to make as few mistakes as possible. While a single mistake that is serious or dangerous can result in a fail, errors considered not to have involved potential danger are recorded as 'driving faults'. It takes 15 of these accumulated throughout the test to take your pass away from you.

So im guessing 0 majors and 15 minors. So that Granny u ran over might fail ya :( lol

Damn the Granny! Jk :p Ahh cheers need to get rid of the one major then, I think it was cause I came to a roundabout and wasnt sure weather to go or not so I kept changing gear but kept the clutch down all the way!

Arent you alowed to run over a cat and keep going on your driving test too but if you hit a dog you have to stop? :eek:

If it takes 15 to stop you passing, then that must mean your allowed 14 then. Damn why cant these places just give you a straight answer!!!:)
EDIT
Heres some stuff from another site, this one says your allowed 15 minors, they all need to sort their wording out, its no wonder that people are confused lol.

I understand that you are allowed minor mistakes without failing your Practical Test. How many are you allowed?

A total of 15 minor mistakes will be allowed. However if you make the same mistake 15 times I would not expect the driving examiner to accept that. A minor mistake is what it says, very minor.

What constitutes a minor mistake?

This is a hard question. Any mistake can be minor or serious/dangerous. For example a stall of your engine when moving away from a parked position would be minor providing no other road user was put at risk. However the same mistake when moving out at a junction with approaching traffic would obviously be a serious/dangerous mistake.

I am told that one serious mistake is a failure?

Yes. This means another road user has been inconvenienced or put at risk.

What is a dangerous mistake?

This means another road user has been put in some form of danger.

there are actually three categories of mistake on driving test, minor major and dangerous actually. (I know cause on my first test I got a tivck on each box).

minor mistakes could be selecting the wrong gear for a given speed or something.

a minor can be something like forgetting to put the hand brake on when you are stopped at a traffic light of junction, (cause then you've failed to secure the car).
that's minor, I did it twice on my first test, so it became a major.

a dangerous fault can be cause by someone else, but basically if you get into a situation that could be dangerous,
on my test some sped past a load of parked cars towards me (parked cars on their side so they should have given way -i was already driving past them), that's a serious fault on my part because of something they did, i mean it's a situation that I couldn't possibly avoid, but even so it's still there.

Meh... got 7 minors and a serious on my first. Passed my second with 9 minors.

IIRC, you get minors, serious and dangerous. Dangerous faults result in an immediate termination of the test, and you have to walk back to the test centre because the examiner isn't covered by insurance to drive you back.

Serious is something which is potentially dangerous, but not dangerous at that exact instance. For instance, I got a serious for poor observation - not dangerous that time, but it could have been.

If you get 3 minors for the same thing during the test, you will also fail, for example,

Failing to look when indicating, something like that

Here in the US (and this might vary by state, im just going off of what I had to do here in Michigan) we have 2 different parts of the test. The first part is the parking test, this is basic stuff such as stopping and then reversing into a spot, and then parallel parking. On that part of the test I believe you allowed 10 points (each fault is worth a different ammount of points).

Then there is the actual driving test, obviously everyone knows what that is, but your allowed 15 points.

lol I just barely passed the parking and got 10 points. Luckily the driving im good at and only got 9 points (I believe that was off of only 2 faults.)

Back
Top Bottom