slow core 2 duo 6600

jeffthedrunk

Beta member
Motherboard Manufacturer and Model: Gigabyte 965P-DS3
CPU/Speed: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
RAM Manufacturer/Type/Module Size: 2 gigs Corsair PC2-6400 DDR2 (800MHz)
Video Card: Manufacturer and Type: Asus EN7600GS
Operating System: Windows Vista 32 bit
Harddrive: Maxtor 500GB SATA-2 7200RPM (16MB Cache)

I just recently bought this system and had the computer tech put it together for me. But it doesn't seem to be working that much better than my old Pentium 4 3.0 cpu. I can multitask pretty well using simple programs and using windows, but when I try and use programs like winrar and quickpar, the system bogs down when trying to do anything else. My 500 gig HDD was never partitioned, so I'm not sure if that could slow it down or if it's just some bios settings. I'd appreciate anyone's input on what my problem could be.

there is no reason for you to be experiencing such a slow down with that setup. There must be something seriously wrong. When you are running winrar or quickpar ctrl-alt-delete and take a look at your CPU usage. Is it at 100%?

No, it's not at 100%, only like 40 or 50%. When I'm not doing anything else, Winrar and Quickpar are fast, but when I try and use any other programs at the same time, everything just slows down. My HDD is up close to 100% when I use these programs, everything else like ram and cpu are not too high. Would it help to partition my harddrive, or would it not really make a difference?

turn off C1E and EIST in the BIOS. Should run at 2.4Ghz from now on since C1E and EIST put your multiplier at 6x when your cpu isn't loaded and the time it takes for the multiplier to change results in lag.

wat he said^
and if i was u get vista 64
or dowloade it from some place that i will not say(pm me if u want to here more)

why vista 64? The Core 2 Duo was designed with 32-bit in mind, not 64. Plus, drivers are still maturing and some programs have compatibility issues. I personally would not make the switch this early.

Back
Top Bottom