Video Card problem

Movieguy

Baseband Member
Sorry if this comes up twice, but my browser's acting funky...

I recently got a new video card, an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, for my HP Pavillion a805n. I've installed everything correctly, from what I can tell, and I've gone into the "Setup" screen after booting to change my primary video device from onboard to "PCI"...despite this, once it gets to windows, all I get is a black screen, with not even a mouse cursor.

Is there something I've missed, or am doing incorrectly?

Try booting into safe mode, if u can then its a driver problem. IF u can boot into safe mode, uninstall the drivers for it and reboot into normal mode, might have just been a bad install.

Of course...I always switch my monitor cable back and forth.

I was able to to boot into safe mode with the card, so I did go back and uninstall the drivers...I used the device manager to do that, if you're curious. Then I re-installed all the drivers, restarted, everything going smoothly...

Then I switched to PCI once more in setup and...black screen again! :mad:

What on earth is going on here? Are the integrated graphics causing a problem in some way? Is there some switch on the motherboard I'm not seeing?

You may need to disable the onboard video in the BIOS.

After doing all that and getting it to work before switching it to PCI in the BIOS, then why bother switching it?

Ok...How do you access the BIOS on this HP...I thought that "Setup" was the BIOS, but it looks like I was mistaken. :p

One other thing...I thought I might need the most up to date drivers...but the device manager couldn't find anything, and NVIdia's website seems to have no listing for the Geforce FX 5200 among its available downloads.

Yeah, I've been doing that, going to BIOS...but I couldn't find that onboard video thing you were talking about. Where would that be? All I could find that related to my card, was the "Primary Display Adapter" (Or something like that) setting.

Back
Top Bottom