New Hard drive

laneo

Beta member
I am thinking of replacing my 80 gb hard drive with a 160 or 250gb. I have an older computer, Sony vaio rz22G. With the computer we received system recovery disks. Which basically allow you to restore your computer to original factory settings. If i took out my old hard drive, and put the new one in, ran the cd, would it install the O.S. and pretty much work. I believe it would, but im worried about partitions, on here its dedicated 13gb to C: and the rest of it to the D: drive, and im not sure if there is an option to set it up yourself on the disks, and even if there was, would it be able to format the 250gb? Thanks.

if your bios supports large hard drives higher than 137gig than yes you will be able to format the drive all at once. im not sure if the recovery disk will work call up sony and ask theyll tell you

how old is the system...? I tried to put a 120GB HDD on an older system once and it only recognized it as a 40GB HDD...

rudster816 said:
if your bios supports large hard drives higher than 137gig than yes you will be able to format the drive all at once. im not sure if the recovery disk will work call up sony and ask theyll tell you

It's not BIOS, rather Windows XP, you can slipstream XP SP2 to increase the partition sizes.

My computer is about 3-4 years old. It does have a manual online of how to install a new hard drive (very basic) so im assuming that you can put a new one in that has a larger capacity, i just want to know if its going to work with those discs. i could always put it in as a slave drive. Or just buy an external, i just need some extra storage space.

Since you're looking for the extra storage space, just install the new drive as a "slave", format it through your current OS, and you're good to go. Just leave your 80GB as it is. :D

Atomic Rooster said:
Since you're looking for the extra storage space, just install the new drive as a "slave", format it through your current OS, and you're good to go. Just leave your 80GB as it is. :D

thats what im thinking about doing. Im just getting annoyed with that "grinding" sound that my hard drive makes, it sounds like its on its last leg, my comp runs fine, but that noise gets on my nerves. But yeah, i think installing a secondary hard drive would be the best bet, thanks guys. If i want to replace the whole thing, i will look into it later.

laneo said:
thats what im thinking about doing. Im just getting annoyed with that "grinding" sound that my hard drive makes, it sounds like its on its last leg, my comp runs fine, but that noise gets on my nerves. But yeah, i think installing a secondary hard drive would be the best bet, thanks guys. If i want to replace the whole thing, i will look into it later.

if that's the case, I would actually look into it now, grinding noise + HDD = not good...

well it doesnt grind a lot, just during start up when its loading everything. basically thats about it, a little bit during shut down, but if i keep it on, and run apps, and what not, it doesnt make hardly any noise. So im not too worried about it. When it continues to do it ALL the time, then i will, i dont feel like spending money right now anyway, i did at one time, but i feel my computer is fine for now, i dont do much on it anyway, type papers, burn dvds, download, and play counter strike. heh. But thanks for your help guys.

Back
Top Bottom