Selling items through CF

Fisher

Fully Optimized
I have just had a friend who recently got scammed on ebay when he brought a laptop. He paid through paypal but couldnt get any of of his money because the seller didnt offer him buyer protection from paypal, so he was only able to get £110 of it back from ebay. there seems to me to be a common belief that if you buy something from paypal you are covered. i think this is wrong as if you buy something outside of ebay you are merely just handing over money using paypal on the trust of the seller.

it also seems abit more dodgy if someone has just joined the forums and has only posted to sell something, like this one:

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=52508

maybe you could put a rule on that people with only say a a minimum of 250 posts (or if thats a little too high/low) that has been a member of CF for over, say, 6 months can advertise and sell items outside of ebay. then at least you can get to know them and build up a feeling for them on CF, kinda like a CF feedback system rlying on the input of the regualr members on here to build up a trust base before you exchange money with them. instead of just having a stranger come on, advertise something and get some naive person to send them money only to never hear from them again

paypal isn't a reliable system.

there are however some tips and tricks that can be used to make paypalling a little safer for yourself...

firstly, even though when you sign up to paypal, they make sure tat you usre a bank account/debit card, as soon as you can, register your credit card details, (or credit card details of your parents, even if that mean you have to buy something and give them the cash back straight away).

the reason for this is that credit cards generaly offer much less restricted, easier to work through payment protection plans.

Paypal and ebay are actually the same company now, and their arbitration process really sucks, so if you are unlucky getting your money back there.
what you should do is this.

clear any funds that you have in your paypal acocunt into your bank account (you possibly won't be able to use your paypal account for a while afterwards so you don't want to have a load of money stuck in there.
then call up your credit card, explain that you've bought some items that havn't been delivered and ask to iniciate a charge back procedure,

basically then your credit card company goes to the people who it gave the money to and takes it back (after investigation -which is a better investigation than paypal do!)

there is only one trouble with this method though.
your credit company paid paypal, paypal then transfered the money onto someone else, generally when they are the ones loosing out they get all pissy about it. and they'll suspend your account for a while, (which is why you should clear it out first)...

yeah, well I'm having trouble explaining it really, so go to www.paypalsucks.com

anyway, as rudster said, buying anything online, where you can't have the product in your hand, and have to give your credit card numbers to some person who isn't there is always going to be risky and open to fraud.

best advice is just shop locally or something, deal in cahs or send cheques.

Paypal is not secure and reliable. It's a risk using paypal for both the bank/credit account and the buying. It's been like that for years.

I prefer trading with items that will be delivered to me first or money orders.

paypal is useless, i had my account hacked, and some money go missing from paypal.. ive asked for my account to be closed, and they flat out refuse to do it.. w@nkers, i would never, ever use paypal again..

I think the point is that anyone, whether they've just joined that day or they've been a member for years should adhere to David's statement where he says that users must list their items for sale in their post, [I have David's PM reply, where he said that] & not just refer to the ebay site, how about including that in the rules, David?, at present, I've had members querying where it says that.

I agree, (to a point).
but it does have to be said that there is more protection using ebay/paypal than there is here.

this is not an auction site/bank site/money transfer site and we offer no arbitration process if things go wrong.

so I thikn that people should be listing their items here and then, (assuming they have an auction, then linking to that auction in the same post.

root said:
I agree, (to a point), but it does have to be said that there is more protection using ebay/paypal than there is here, this is not an auction site/bank site/money transfer site and we offer no arbitration process if things go wrong, so I think that people should be listing their items here, and then, (assuming they have an auction, then linking to that auction in the same post.
All due respect to you, your comments are always welcome, but now I'm risking a double post to point out that David states that the link has to be in the sig, so why not ask him?, he told me this in a PM reply quite a while back, I've tried to trace it in his posts, but it's too far back, perhaps he will remember.

See David's post [12]

Maurice, if you want to quote a second user, Click quote, Select all the text, right click, and click Copy.
Then, go back and edit yours. Right click and Select Paste. Then, add your words at the end of the quote :)

Paypal is not an always safe way to operate. I will recommend people to use Money orders. NEVER PUT CASH IN AN ENVELOPPE!

Back
Top Bottom