just finished upgrade/build...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
wow, was that fun, a 2 week old case, new power supply, new motherboard, new pci-e video card, new processor with stock cooler, new memory, and new round ide cables...

my first build where rmaing would've been an option, and I get everything together, flip the switch and...nothing...

wtf...? I start thinking through what I may have to rma, is it the mobo...? it was an open box purchase...maybe the cpu...? maybe the difficulties getting the heatsink on messed it up...? everything was racing through my mind at once...

then, remembering what a jackass I am, I decide it's gotta be something simple, the mobo power light is on, the power supply worked in another system yeasterday, probably the memory, g-skill was not on the qvl list for the asus p5nsli...

oh wait, maybe instead of just flipping the power switch on the power supply, I might want to turn the power on with the button on the front of the case...

duh...

the build/upgrade went off without a hitch hardware-wise (had to reinstall windows xp though), operator error ended up being the culprit of my anxiety attack, the two pieces I was worried about (the open box asus p5nsli and the non qvl memory) both work fine (so far)...

automatic overclocking in the bios (up to 20%) has me running at 3.36GHZ as we e-speak, I now have one computer overclocked and one underclocked...

:D

only one problem thusfar, PC Wizard has my mobo and processor temps flipped (30* cpu and 45* mobo, this can't be right, can it...?)...

Haha, congrats on figuring out the problem, I probably would have done the same if I was that excited.

lol i do stuff like that!!

As for the temps, can u download the utility that comes with the mobo to tell u the temps etc, or check in the bios instead, a lot of those tools give false readings.

i got a new case for x-mas transfered all my stuff to the new case flipped the switch...nothing kept trying everything and nother would turn. hmm maybee it was the power switch swaped it with the reset one presed hmmmm the fans and viola it worked just switched out the button looks exactly the just found a switch lying around. glad you solved your problem too it gave me quite a sweat

Anubis1980 said:
lol i do stuff like that!!

As for the temps, can u download the utility that comes with the mobo to tell u the temps etc, or check in the bios instead, a lot of those tools give false readings.

yeah, I already had the utilities for the mobo downloaded and ASUS probeII and AIbooster seem to have everything straight, they give the same readings as the bios, also, the AIbooster is great, you can overclock through it while the computer's running and the settings stay...

I was running 3.36GHZ with a 20% boost, but have since throttled it down to 10% which still has me at over 3GHZ...

Im lucky my mobo is really good for overclocking, have a friend who cant do much at all in his bios, so programs like that are good!

Anubis1980 said:
Im lucky my mobo is really good for overclocking, have a friend who cant do much at all in his bios, so programs like that are good!

I haven't noticed much a difference speed-wise over my other system which only ran 2.4ghz and had 512mb sdram instead of the ddr2 pc-5300 I'm running now...

:confused:

I wish I would've read the pentium 4/celeron D thread before ordering my cpu, I would've went with the pentium 4 prescott instead of the celeron D prescott...

oddly enough, the celeron D processor I selected is up for a newegg award...

Back
Top Bottom