Does anyone know...

El_Zilcho said:
Thanks freestyler, I owe you one. I'm suprised they didn't cover that in the basic article on Buddhism, but thanks for going the extra mile. :)

And I agree, I think Buddhism is very interesting, and while I'm a Christian, I really like some of their principles.

Edit: I'l have to look into predestination, as it sound interesting.

o we learned about predestination in World Histaory! Its where before you are born its supposedly predetermined if you are going to heaven or hell, and that you can tell if someone is chosen by the way they act, so if they act good and do good deeds then they are going to heaven, yet if they are bad then they will go to hell I think its something like that. And don't quote me on this but I think it was Martin Luther that came up with the idea(ps not martin luther king jr. this is the one from like the 1700's :D) but i'm not entirely sure about that...

No problem Zilcho.

I think it's pretty much both. It really depends on your perspective, but this is how I view it.

A religion is defined as:
dictionary.com said:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
Buddhism would be in that category, because it tells people that to achieve Nirvana, (basically when you realize the absolute truth of the world, and then once you die, you will not be reincarnated again) you must follow the Eightfold Path and the Four Noble Truths.

The Four Noble Truths basically say that to achieve Nirvana, you have to stay away from all human desire, because desire is the cause of all suffering. The Eightfold Path tells you how to avoid human desire.

So it's a religion, because it is a set of beliefs that have to do with the cause/nature/purpose of the universe.

But it is also a way of life, because Buddhists must follow the Eightfold Path in their everyday life so they can achieve Nirvana.
wikipedia said:
The Eightfold Path
* Wisdom
1. Right view
2. Right intention

* Ethical conduct
3. Right speech
4. Right action
5. Right livelihood

* Mental discipline
6. Right effort
7. Right mindfulness
8. Right concentration

Also, the theory of evolution is not a religion. I'm Catholic, yet I somewhat believe evolution. I just assume that it is not chance that made things evolve the way they did, it was God's will.

Back
Top Bottom