ad hoc network problem

fsteyer

Baseband Member
Hi -
I set up an ad hoc wireless network between my desktop and laptop. I use the desktop as the internet gateway it that works fine.

What I can't do is access shared folders over the wireless network. I have run the small office wizard a few times, the desktop shows up as a network place but when I click on it, it tells me that I don't have permission to access the folder and that the path was not found.
What am I doing wrong here ???

Thanks ....

when i used to get crappy problems like this i right clicked my wireless network card in network connections. i went to properties. and i clicked on file and printer sharing for microsoft networks. i then install the service (2nd option). once that was complete it seemed to fix my problem. obviously it can be other things such as running the network setup wizard with wrong settings and stuff but im guessing youve ruled all this stuff out..

First, if you are using Windows XP Home, you have to make sure to enable file and printer sharing. On windows XP Pro, this is done automatically when you join the domain. The other thing you have to do, is find the folder that you want to share
lets say you have a folder on the C:\ drive, named SharedFolder.

You must right click that folder and go to the sharing tab at the top, and select to share, and then you have to select a share name. remember the share name! For this example, we'll call it SharedFolder.
Now, you want to right click on my computer and click properties. go to the computer name tab, and make sure (if it's xp home) that the workgroup name is set, the default should be MSHOME. Now what you have to do, is go to your laptop. From here, again double check the computer name tab and make sure the workgroup name matches the one on your desktop.(Again, making sure that file and print sharing are enabled.) Now, on your laptop, right click my computer and click map network drive. from here select a drive letter(doesn't matter what you pick as long as it isn't already in use, because this isn't a physical drive, it's a virtual drive: ie. not on a separate partition). for the path name you type this: \\server\share\
where \\server is the name of the desktop computer, not the workgroup.
and where \share is the path and name of the folder you shared on the desktop.

So in your case, if your desktop computer's name is desktop, your path would look like this:
\\desktop\SharedFolder\

If you have any questions, let me know.

ok cool glad i helped :) ive never really liked the whole networking thing in xp. always had probs

Back
Top Bottom