Thermal Grease used on CPU?

ace777 said:
So what are you supposed to do??? My friend took the metal top ( not the heat sink) off the proccessor and now I can't reglue it what can you do?
Never seen that done before. Wouldn't that be broken then? If you can't reglue, you may have to get a new one.

Anubis1980 said:
Wow lol, sounds interesting ;)

As to the memory question, some ram, if its good can work at higher speeds, my ram is value and i still get it up to ddr440 without a prob. So urs is prob good ram and can handle 160, prob not much more tho lol.

my ram is mix match used ram...

memory.jpg

"value" ram, so to speak...

how is it running so much higher than it's supposed to...?

PC's are weird lol. Hey if ur ram works at higher speeds dont knock it. I couldnt comment on why it is unless i see how its all set up, even then itll prob go down as great pc mystery ;)

ace777 said:
So what are you supposed to do??? My friend took the metal top ( not the heat sink) off the proccessor and now I can't reglue it what can you do?
It's called the IHS, he has exposed the cpu core, you can mount a heatsink on it, just dont overtighten or you'll crush the core.

You'll still need to use thermal paste even when the IHS is removed. Many people remove it to get a direct contact between the core and HSF for better cooling while overclocking.

wol-va-rine said:
with the core being exposed, would the need for a thermal conductor (grease, paste or pad) become non existent...?

also, has anyone on this site tried these...?

Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad Thermal Interface Pad

Watch that stuff eat through aluminum before your eyes. It will also ruin copper over time. So no, don't use it. And removing the IHS is only beneficial if the IHS is really warped. And your friend has just voided his warranty. If it is an LGA processor, chances are he already ruined his core. If it is a recent AMD, chances are he also ruined his core as they are all soldered to the IHS and you need a high heat source to get the solder to melt.

maybe get a new fan?

also when i got my pentd 925 on the bottom of the fan/heatsink it had a pad of thermal grease so i guess it was supposed to melt on...well before on the first trial runs the fan wasnt fully touching so that caused overheating and the cpu to shut down...so we did it over and it worked GREAT!

but yeh man try a new fan maybe!

Back
Top Bottom