Onboard USB Question?

thelethalblow

Baseband Member
Hello. I've been looking at motherboard specs and wondering if someone can clear this up. I notice that on newegg there site lists Onboard USB (see quote below). I get the whole I/O rear panel usb but am confused about just what the onboard usb constitutes.
1) I am wondering if they are referring to the front mounted usb ports?
2) These onboard usb can be or must be connected to the front through a wire?
3) It says it supports 6 ports, you need a splitter cable, running from the 3 connectors?
4) If there are cords do these generally come with the case or motherboard or do I have to buy them?

Newegg Quote
"Rear Panel Ports: USB 4 x USB 2.0
"Onboard USB: Onboard USB 3 x USB 2.0 connectors supports 6 ports"

The 4 rear panel USB ports are mounted on the rear I/O panel.

The additional 3 onboard USB ports are sets of pins located on the motherboard that you would connect to the front case panel USB ports .

The needed cords are attached to the case already.

thelethalblow said:
Hello. I've been looking at motherboard specs and wondering if someone can clear this up. I notice that on newegg there site lists Onboard USB (see quote below). I get the whole I/O rear panel usb but am confused about just what the onboard usb constitutes.
1) I am wondering if they are referring to the front mounted usb ports?
2) These onboard usb can be or must be connected to the front through a wire?
3) It says it supports 6 ports, you need a splitter cable, running from the 3 connectors?
4) If there are cords do these generally come with the case or motherboard or do I have to buy them?

Newegg Quote
"Rear Panel Ports: USB 4 x USB 2.0
"Onboard USB: Onboard USB 3 x USB 2.0 connectors supports 6 ports"

1. No, it's in reference to USB ports on the motherboard.
2. They're on the motherboard and get direct power through the 4 pin connection that is located directly on the motherboard.
3. No sure what you mean. :confused:
4. Yes, assuming it's OEM or Retail, if it's an Open Box product, then no, you just get the motherboard.

Make sure u read the instructions as to where the ground/live wires go lol. i didnt and i blew up my old mobo a while back fitting a USB onboard ;)

Back
Top Bottom