My IP

hockeyman4413

In Runtime
hi guys,
well, my dad was trying to hook my family comp. up in a hurry yeserday, and he managed to get a generic IP assigned to us. he was hooking up the internet and he didnt hook it up in the right order. he plugged everything together and then turned everything on, instead of comp>modem>router. we called up my ISP and they said a generic IP was assigned and we had to call dell. dell wants 40 bucks for technical support, anyone here know how to solve my problem? thnx in advance.

edit: im running windows xp, if that helps

Well, i'm not quite sure what you mean by Generic IP (except maybe computer automatically assigned you an ip because it couldn't get one assigned). In addition to your OS, you mentioned you have a router:
1.) What brand of router is it?
2.) Is it wired or wireless.
3.) If you have a wireless or wired router installed via your ISP, who is your ISP.
4.) I'll assume that you have a dell PC.
5.) Can you connect to the internet?

sorry, i ment that it auto assigned a IP, like u said.
1)linksys
2)wirless, but desktop is wired to router, also have laptop
3)? comcast
4)yes
5)no, now im usin my neihbors wireless signal

ok, first off, the ISP doesn't like you to have a wireless router other than their own because they don't like you to have that much control(CONSPIRACY!!!), j/k.
1.) The first thing, open up the command prompt by clicking on the start menu and going to run.
2.) In the run dialog box, type in "cmd" without the quotes.
3.) When the black command prompt comes up type "ipconfig/all" again without the quotes.
4.) Do a print screen, and paste the image here, in this forum.
Then we'll go from there.

well, it might be a whhile, i have a broken clavical and im home alone, but ill get right on it

edit: im getting the ficticious 169# ip, just for more info for u guys

ok, nvm guys, i fixed the problem. i d-loaded a guided help program fro MS, and it fixed my IP. Ty Daeva for trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom