pentium mmx upgrade

I'd look at the chipset. If it's VIA, ALI or Sis, you might be lucky to get an AMD K6-2 or K6-III 550MHZ.

hmmmm... now we have a new situation. I fond a computer. my dad's boss gave me an emachine. It has 256 mb of RAM. A 2.6 ghz Celeron. Only on problem. The hard drive died in it a while ago. That is why he gave it to me. I put a working hard drive in. I plugged everything in. When I turned it on nothing showed on the monitor. It didn't beep or anything. Then when I tried to turn it off using the power button it wouldn't shut off. The only way to shut it off was to unplug it. Any idea what the culprit is and if it is fixable?

istonian said:
hmmmm... now we have a new situation. I fond a computer. my dad's boss gave me an emachine. It has 256 mb of RAM. A 2.6 ghz Celeron. Only on problem. The hard drive died in it a while ago. That is why he gave it to me. I put a working hard drive in. I plugged everything in. When I turned it on nothing showed on the monitor. It didn't beep or anything. Then when I tried to turn it off using the power button it wouldn't shut off. The only way to shut it off was to unplug it. Any idea what the culprit is and if it is fixable?

Fix your power/reset switches, reset the CMOS, fresh install of Win. XP/Vista, and you should be good to go.

I don't think the power switch is broke because it turns the computer on. I will try resetting the BIOS though.

Well evwentually we should troubleshoot the issue and solve it. So one thing at a time...

Make sure all connections are in properly. Power plugs, IDE/SATA cables, RAM seated properly, etc.

I am going to try to fix the computer after school today. I iwill tell you how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom