What does the 2800+ or 3700+ mean?

krystiantoms

Beta member
When looking for new pc's on the web and in stores i keep seeing 2800+ or 3700+ usually with the AMD ones? but it doesn't say its mhz or ghz unless i put it into a pc.. so how can i tell by these numbers how powerful the cpu is? and what does those numbers mean cuz its not mhz?

Those numbers just mark what series it is. 2xxx is typically Sempron CPUs, 3xxx generally is Athlon 64 and 64 X2 CPUs, 4xxx and 5xxx series processors are your mid-range and high-end 64 X2 CPUs.

Yeah true, but he's asking what "3800+" means. Like he wanted to know if 3800+ meant a 3.8GHz+ CPU. But it's just a series number is all.

actually back in the day Intel was out doing AMD because Intel's CPUs had higher mhz\ghz so amd added that 4 digit number to represent the intel counterpart for ex:an athlon 64 3800+ is suppose to be equal to 3.8ghz in intel land....or thats wat it was supposed to mean now they really exagerate them by 1000-2000(not always) but it gives you a good idea what intel it compares to WITH OVERCLOCK w\o overclock its exagerated. if you get what i mean

though lets say a game needed 1.8ghz as the requirement, a 1800+ should be able to do the trick, not nicely but still can run it

Yeah, I thought the number is supposed to be the Intel Pentium 4 equivalent. So to answer your question, I think so.

There is a separate clock speed for Athlons that should be 2.0 GHz, etc.

The Dark Cheese said:
though lets say a game needed 1.8ghz as the requirement, a 1800+ should be able to do the trick, not nicely but still can run it

Yep thats a good way too look at it. :D

Back
Top Bottom