Thermal Grease used on CPU?

Yes, there is such a thing as too much. Using too much will cause the HSF to not cool properly, could lead to electrical shorts, and cause havoc when it comes time to separate the CPU and HSF as you have seen first hand.

As they say, just a dab will do ya! The thinner the layer, the better. :D

Here's a great set instructions from Arctic Silver

Atomic Rooster said:
Yes, there is such a thing as too much. Using too much will cause the HSF to not cool properly, could lead to electrical shorts, and cause havoc when it comes time to separate the CPU and HSF as you have seen first hand.

As they say, just a dab will do ya! The thinner the layer, the better. :D

Here's a great set instructions from Arctic Silver

dude, you're all repped out with me until I spread some e-love around, but thanks again...

just to add, if you use too much, you risk creating an air bubble too. this bubble would make applying the paste virtually useless.

Thanks all. I was just being cautious because I believe last time one of my friends who built me a computer said that it is better to get a silver thermal paste. So if this one, thermal grease is good enough, I will stick to it and not waste money to buy new ones.

what he probally ment was arctic silver 5, which is easily the best paste out there. Like atomic said tho, there won't be too much of a difference between what you have and arctic.

Anubis1980 said:
Can i ask why ur cpu is underclocked, just out of interest :)

when my 1.5 GHZ Willamette crapped out Friday (which i had OCed to 1.95GHZ, I acquired a 3.0GHZ Northwood to replace it, it booted up fine, except that it was only 2.4GHZ (I have gotten it as high as 2.575GHZ though)...

I believe the problems lays squarely on the shoulders of my old mobo and the sdram that it runs, it's an ASUS P4B with a socket 478 processor, I still don't understand how overclocking really works, but I know how to do it...

that being said, my multiplier is locked at x15 and my fsb is 160 for 2.4GHZ, this kinda confuses me, because my ram is pc-133, but it's also running at 160MHZ, how is this possible...? or is 133MHZ not it's max speed (I told you I didn't know much)...?

my fsb options go all the way to 200MHZ, but I can't get it stable anywhere near 175, anyway, it's still faster than the old Willamette I had and my Neweggventure should be arriving tomorrow sometime...

Wow lol, sounds interesting ;)

As to the memory question, some ram, if its good can work at higher speeds, my ram is value and i still get it up to ddr440 without a prob. So urs is prob good ram and can handle 160, prob not much more tho lol.

So what are you supposed to do??? My friend took the metal top ( not the heat sink) off the proccessor and now I can't reglue it what can you do?

ace777 said:
So what are you supposed to do??? My friend took the metal top ( not the heat sink) off the proccessor and now I can't reglue it what can you do?

tell him to buy another one, unless you told him to do it...

Back
Top Bottom