Wireless LAN problem

ati005

In Runtime
I am using a Lynksis Cable Modem Router, with a pc and two laptops. The pc and one laptop works fine, but my acer travelmate 660 laptop works sometimes, otherwise it just says acquiring network address and stays for there for a bit of time. After a long time it just says limited or no connectivity. sometimes it works fine at 54 mbps. i had the same problem before i changed the Intel WiFi Mini PCI card, now i have the Broadcom minipci card and after a few days i had this problem again. Does anyone know what could be the problem, i have also formatted and reinstalled the operating system.

So you followed this section?

Windows XP says your network adapter has limited or no connectivity
If Windows XP says your network adapter has limited or no connectivity, it could be due to several different problems, including a failed Internet connection, a misconfigured router, or a misconfigured network adapter. Follow these steps to troubleshoot the problem. (You can stop following the steps if your network connection starts to work.)

In the Network Connections window, right-click your network adapter, and then click Repair. For detailed instructions, read Repairing network connections.

Unplug your modem. If you are unsure which device might be your modem, it is the device that is connected directly to your phone line (if you have DSL) or cable connection (if you have a cable modem). Wait one minute, and then plug your modem back in again.

If you have a router connected to your modem, unplug it. If you are unsure which device might be your router, look for the device that has at least two network cables: one that connects to your modem; and another that connects to your computer. You may also have a wireless router, which would be connected to your modem and would have one or more antennas. Wait one minute, and then plug your router back in again.

Restart your computer.

If your network adapter still shows "Limited or no connectivity" and you have customized your router's configuration, verify that the router has DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) enabled. Enable DHCP, and then restart your computer. DHCP automatically assigns an Internet Protocol (IP) address to your computer, which uniquely identifies your computer on your network. For instructions on how to enable DHCP for your router, refer to your router's documentation.

If you are using a router, unplug the network cable that connects your modem to your router, and connect your computer directly to your modem. Then restart your computer. If your computer connects properly after restarting, the problem is with your router. Contact your router manufacturer for support.

If your network adapter still indicates "Limited or no connectivity" when your computer is connected directly to your modem, contact your Internet service provider (ISP) for support. To speed up the troubleshooting process, describe the steps you have already taken, including restarting your modem, router, and computer, and connecting your computer directly to your modem. The "Limited or no connectivity" error message indicates that your computer is properly connected to your home network; however, the ISP's DHCP server is not assigning it an IP address. This problem could be caused by a failed DHCP server on the ISP's network, a failed modem, or a problem with your Internet connection. Alternatively, the ISP may require you to use a "static" IP address, which only its support staff can help you configure.

its been working ok for a week but today i got the same problem. ive tried repairing it, it also works fine when it is connected directly to router by ethernet cable. in the network status it says Invalid Ip and for ip addresses it shows 0.0.0.0

Sounds like a DHCP issue, have you tried restarting the router. You could also goto the cmd prompt and do ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew.

I have the same problem with my part of the network too with the exact same symptoms. Here's what you can do also.

Yes, it is a DHCP issue as Raffaz mentioned. You can reboot the modem and router all together manually or you can login to your router and release DHCP, then renew DHCP. Then refresh it. That gave me instant connectivity again.

i need to ask a question here because i cant post a new thread. y the heck is it not letting me post a new thread. i have been doing it b4 but now, the page never comes to confirm the completion of thread making and when i press refresh i get a message saying that the refresh is resending a duplicate.

Back
Top Bottom