Computer not recognizing external harddrive

Stebany

Solid State Member
Computer not recognizing external harddrive -UPDATE

My laptop died last week. I bought a Nexstar external hard drive enclosure and removed my HD from my laptop and put it in the enclosure. I read the instructions very carefully, but neither my desktop or new laptop is recognizing this storage device. I went into Computer Management to partition the drive, but I don't see it in there either. I've removed the hard drive, and put it back in just to be sure the pins were all aligned and fit smoothly. What am I doing wrong?
Not sure if it matters but my laptop is a Gateway. I have AMD Turion x2 and my desktop is a couple years old. Medion with Intel Celeron 2.4ghz.

I hope I am not leaving anything out. Thanks for any help!
Steph

freestyler105 said:
Are you sure the hard drive isn't dead? It may have been killed along with the old laptop.

Hmmm, you know I never considered this. Is there a way to tell? My computer was thrown on the floor and damaged. How easy is it to damage a HD? UGH, I needed the information on this. And my pictures of my kids! I am sick. :(

Stebany said:
Hmmm, you know I never considered this. Is there a way to tell? My computer was thrown on the floor and damaged. How easy is it to damage a HD? UGH, I needed the information on this. And my pictures of my kids! I am sick. :(
Well right now, I'm thinking the hard drive was damaged. You can still take the drive to experts to recover the data off it, but it's rather expensive. This is assuming the drive is only mechanically damaged.

Does it many any unusual sounds when it's in use? If there's any clicking noises, it's definitely damaged.

You might want to look on the HDD manufacturers website for a diagnostic tool to check the drive with. Also, DONT partition the drive, or you will lose all the data your trying to get off it!

Does the drive get recognised when you connect it to the pc? Im guessing its USB, so is it recognising it when you plug it in?

Update: I fixed it! WOO HOO. According to the manual you were to boot your PC up, then plug in the USB. Last night I decided to plug it in first then turn the computer on, and it recognized it!
How stupid am I?
Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom