Messed up my internet connection on my other com plz help!

adam3112

Baseband Member
Right ok this might seem abit of a long story but it is the best way i can explain it. Ok today ive been trying to connect my xbox 360 to the internet to get xbox live. I used the ethernet cable that came with the 360 and plugged it into the other computer (not the one i'm on now). I noticed the 360 would have trouble connecting to the internet but would reconize the ethernet cable plugged in but would have trouble reconizing the IP Address part and the ethernet cable connection would display as "no or limited connection only" on the com. I have a wireless router so usually the d-link adapter on my other com would just pick up the signal of the router. However it all started going wrong when i went into "view all available connections" or whatever the option is called and i bridged the two networks together (not knowing what would happen as i don't know much about ISP settings) one being my wireless connection and the other being what i assume the ethernet cable connection. Once i did that my adapter would now display as no or limited connection only and i notice i couldn't connect to the internet on the com. After that i tried repairing the connection but it failed to do so. I then went into connection wizard and it said something about the default gateway appearing offline. What does that mean and how do i fix this problem?
Please help,thanks!

I tried a system restore and i got system restore incomplete - no changes have been made to your com. however i'll have a look at the link you sent me Anubis1980!

Restore points to me are a waste of resources. Never worked very well for me at all, i always disable them.

Right i went on that link you sent me, downloaded that winsock fix tool and then
put the setup on my usb stick then sent it onto the other com. I ran the tool but it still hasnt fixed the problem. I also forgot to mention that each time i click repair on the connection, a message comes up saying "unable to renew ip address" :confused:

Try renewing your IP.

- Start
- Run
- Type cmd and hit Enter
- Type ipconfig /release and hit Enter
- Type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter

One thing to do is unplug the router for about 5 mins to clear its memory, this is whats recommended on my router for problems. Oh and is the connection still bridged? or attempting to be bridged.

adam3112 said:
Right i went on that link you sent me, downloaded that winsock fix tool and then
put the setup on my usb stick then sent it onto the other com. I ran the tool but it still hasnt fixed the problem. I also forgot to mention that each time i click repair on the connection, a message comes up saying "unable to renew ip address" :confused:
If its unable to renew your Ip address, then its a DHCP problem. Your router will probably be the DHCP server, so try resetting it.

thanks for all your help, i reset the router and now its all back on as normal!!
Many thanks!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom