Memory standard

Istonian

Daemon Poster
Is a motherboards memory standard the maximum speed of RAM it can handle? Like if the standard was like ddr2 553 or 800, would it be able to handle like 1066 RAM?

it could handle the higher ram..but it would only work at the lower motherboard number....like 1066 ram in a 800 motherboard would only run at 800.....(i think...someone else may correct me if i'm wrong).

just got this off the crucial memory website....

"My computer uses PC2700 (DDR333). Can I use PC3200 (DDR400)?

DDR memory was designed to be backward compatible so generally speaking, you can safely add faster memory to your computer. For example, you can install a PC3200 DDR module in a computer that calls for PC2700 DDR. However, keep in mind that faster memory will not necessarily make your system faster. You can't speed up your computer by adding faster memory if other components in your computer (your processor or other memory modules) operate at a slower speed."

So I would be better off buying 553 mhz RAM bc my mobo standard is 553?

Yeah, unless you wanna do a bit overclocking. The faster RAM will cope better with that (the rest of the system might still let you down tho)

Maybe, but like i said the rest of the system might let you down. You can only OC as fast as the slowest part. I would personally just get the stock speed RAM, and save some money.

That is probably what I will do. I can't wait to upgrade though. I am working for the rich guy with 3 raptors over spring break!!11!!1eleven!!1!

Back
Top Bottom