3 Video cards ... ???

ladykiller1

Baseband Member
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I'm not completely computer illiterate but I haven't put a box together in some time.
Can you run two SLI cards for a "high-res gaming" monitor and one card for a second monitor?
I know some newer games let you utilize dual monitors. One being your main screan and the second being a map, or some sort of combination.
Thanks for the input!

As far as I know the only 3 GPU configuration is 2 GPUs in SLI and the other GPu dedicated to Physics processing. Not sure if it exists yet or not but I did hear about NVIDIA trying it.

I know there's Quad-SLI, then I heard NVIDIA trying different GPU combinations, the only problem is gaming applications can't utilize all of the GPUs. So it's potential that can't really be tapped into quite yet. I know one of the far-fetched ideas was to have 2 GPUs dedicated to image processing (games) and then have one dedicated to the physics, and then the other to be in tandem with the CPU and help process.

Not to sure if this addresses your question or not, but it's everything I know about in regards to multi-GPU configurations.

EDIT: Also, the only company working towards the multi GPU configuration with the physics processing and CPU utilization is AMD. Since they bought out ATI it seems like they're going for a completely integrated system. This does help explain the Torenza technology that AMD wants. They want a CPU and GPU to be able to process in tandem with each other, as well as have their DX10 cards to have built in physics processing, and then to have multi-GPU systems for CrossFire platforms.

Right now? You can't run three together in tandem. The reason for this is because with video cards right now they have to be in pairs. Due to the "bridge" connector and dongle used to connect the cards together. Although with DX10 cards coming out, and motherboards hopefully coming out with 4 PCI-e slots, you should be able to have odd-pairs. Not to sure though.

EDIT: here's an example of a motherboard layout supporting the 2 video cards for gaming and one for physics. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131153

Newegg.com said:
2 x PCIe x16 support SLI @ x16, x16(blue)
1 x PCIe x16 @ x8 for GPU Physics card (white)

a physics card takes some load off the cpu and helps with more debree and stuph
but only like 3 games support it really a wast
exentualy nvidia will have 3 sli
they have quad sli for 7950 but they only use 2 pci exspress slots

ladykiller said:
I don't mean to sound dumb. But what do you mean by "one for physics"?

I mean one GPU to calculate the physics in games. A great example is Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Cell Factor. They incorporate physics engines into the game. With a GPU dedicated to physics processing is helps relieve the CPU and allows it to do more.

NVIDIA has to rethink their SLI connection before it can do anything though. Currently you connect the video cards together via a 'bridge' at the top of the cards. but if people want 2 for SLi and 1 for Physics, then some how the 3rd video card will need to connect to the others. And the bridge only allows 2 cards. maybe a bridge extension or something. Not to sure.

Back
Top Bottom