Power shortage

ace777

Fully Optimized
I have an older model computer and I had a video card from it ( a MX 4000 GeForce and don't laugh) And I got a http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/310_Series/2800351/2800351nv.shtml
for school work in my room and I plug the card in and it works fine but then i realize the card requires a 250 Watt power supply and mine has a 200 Watt
Is this safe to run this card in the computer or should I take it off?
And no this comp will not be used for gaming just to organize school stuff just wondering if I could so the card doesn't go to waste.

well thats the problem Im putting it in so I Can play a few decent games ( Halo, COD)
Until my next comp comes ( in a few weeks ) that will be for gaming so would it be ok to stress the card like that? And would if I do would it hurt to play it at lowst settings instead of the highest if I do keep this card and run it?

Well, even the lowest settings are probably going to stress that POS...give it a try at least, the worst that'll happen is the system will shut down.

'pos' that isnt nice lol...

He is right tho, not sure how well itll run those games, in fact Halo im pretty sure wont run, cud be wrong, but thats an old gfx. The worst that cud happen is the psu fries... not itll just turn off, well i think anyway ,if ur overstressing the psu and its not a good one, or a bit weak then it cud blow it.

Anubis1980 said:
'pos' that isnt nice lol...

He is right tho, not sure how well itll run those games, in fact Halo im pretty sure wont run, cud be wrong, but thats an old gfx. The worst that cud happen is the psu fries... not itll just turn off, well i think anyway ,if ur overstressing the psu and its not a good one, or a bit weak then it cud blow it.
Well most likely before that happens the computer will just shut down from not getting enough juice...

Halo PC requires a video card with 32MB of memory..so I think you're set there, but it needs DirectX 9, which I don't think that card is...same with COD.

Was thinking more of the fps. Halo is a fast moving game, low fps wud make it crap. Hope it works!! :)

i'll try it , but your sure it won't blow or anything? it will just shut down?

No one can guarantee anything mate. Chance u take. But it shud shut down first hopefully before any damage. But who knows lol.

Back
Top Bottom