LAN connection problems

cbachinger

In Runtime
I am connected by LAN and the connection picks up my hardware but it does not connect. I have gone to IE settings and checked the autodetect settings under 'LAN' and have ensured that the connection itself under Network connections is enabled. However the LAN connection refuses to connect.

What else can i do? My room mate connects with no problem and her autodetect settings are not checked.

What OS are you running? XP?
Is your network card DHCP enabled or static? (Sounds as if it's static if it says your connected) Start>Settings>Network Settings, right-click the network card, Properties>select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP). It should have Obtain both automatically.
Is the network encrypted? WEP? WAP? (Does the network show up with a lock on it?
Just some information that is useful.

All settings that i could find, such as Internet protocol are on auto detect.

Im running XP SP2. Il check on the DHCP card :) It does not connect at all; it gives the IP and Gateway address which i manually put in but to no positive result.

The network is not encrypted. Maybe when i was setting up the profile, i selected the wrong type of network?

If you entered the IP address manually, then you havent got DHCP turned on

I checked my DHCP card and it is enabled. ALl other settings are at default and look in order.

It is strange because before when i connected to the internet at work, i had no problem. Then when we had a connection cut for 2 days and it came back i couldnt connect anymore.

I tried a system restore, though i wasnt expecting a change.

The LAN connection is picked up but doesnt not connect.

DHCP card? Have you checked that DHCP is turned on,on the computer your connecting to, as well as your own?

First and foremost, lets clear up some confusion....

There is no such thing as a DHCP card- it's a protocol- not a device.
An easier way to figure out what is going on is go to start>run and type "cmd" without quotes- hit enter. This is going to tell you some information, such as your IP address, subnet, default gateway, if your IP is static or DHCP, etc. Just copy and paste that in your response here. This will help a lot- because it seems to be a bit of confusion.

Also, what utility are you using to try and connect to the wireless network? Reason I ask, is because certain laptops use their own utility, rather than the Windows utility (for good reason), and they tell you what is going on. For instance, try a "ipconfig /release"- it should turn to all zeros. Then type "ipconfig /renew" and see if you get an IP address- the more I think about this, the more it sounds like a winsock issue. Tell me what the message is when you release and renew. If it says that it tried to connect to something that wasn't a socket- winsock issue. This would explain why it says connected, but you can't do anything.

pctechmike said:
First and foremost, lets clear up some confusion....

There is no such thing as a DHCP card- it's a protocol- not a device.
An easier way to figure out what is going on is go to start>run and type "cmd" without quotes- hit enter. This is going to tell you some information, such as your IP address, subnet, default gateway, if your IP is static or DHCP, etc. Just copy and paste that in your response here. This will help a lot- because it seems to be a bit of confusion.

Also, what utility are you using to try and connect to the wireless network? Reason I ask, is because certain laptops use their own utility, rather than the Windows utility (for good reason), and they tell you what is going on. For instance, try a "ipconfig /release"- it should turn to all zeros. Then type "ipconfig /renew" and see if you get an IP address- the more I think about this, the more it sounds like a winsock issue. Tell me what the message is when you release and renew. If it says that it tried to connect to something that wasn't a socket- winsock issue. This would explain why it says connected, but you can't do anything.
After you type "cmd" you need to enter "ipconfig".Pctechmike missed it out :)

Thanks Raffaz, I completely missed that:D

After doing tech support all day, then trying to help on the forums, my brain is fried sometimes....

I would really like to see the response to my questions from this member- I think it's something simple, hopefully I'm not over-complicating it for them....:confused:

Back
Top Bottom