Computer monitor used as an HDTV

superman22x

Golden Master
My friend wants an HD tv, a 1080p one, but only has about $300 to spend. He wants to use it for his 360 and for TV. So I told him to use a computer monitor like a 20" or so, but he wants to know if there is a way to get TV and 360 all hooked up to a computer monitor. Is this possible?

What about the TV adaptor, for standard edition dish network, what kind of adaptor would he need? Something like an S-Video to DVI maybe?

superman22x said:
What about the TV adaptor, for standard edition dish network, what kind of adaptor would he need? Something like an S-Video to DVI maybe?
What kind of cable does the Dish Network use to go from the box to the TV? I think S-Video would work, not sure though. If it can use HDMI, there's an HDMI port on that monitor.

And the monitor I posted would be great for that, because it has a button that lets you pick the input from HDMI, VGA, or DVI. That way you don't have to keep swapping out the cables.

No it is just a standard dish box, so it only has composite, and S-Video. Also what do I do for speakers? Because the one you listed might be too expensive I think. If the monitor doesnt have built in speakers what do I do?

superman22x said:
No it is just a standard dish box, so it only has composite, and S-Video. Also what do I do for speakers? Because the one you listed might be too expensive I think. If the monitor doesnt have built in speakers what do I do?
Just buy any speakers, and hook up the two composite cables to them.

And use S-Video for the video I guess...the picture isn't going to be very good if it's a standard picture because the native resolution of the monitor will be so much higher.

I thought it might look better on a high def thing like a monitor. Ok, well I'll tell him what I found out, thanks.

superman22x said:
I thought it might look better on a high def thing like a monitor. Ok, well I'll tell him what I found out, thanks.
It'll only look better if it's actually HD content.

What if he just buys an HD dish box, but not HD service? Or how much worse will it look with regular Dish?

Back
Top Bottom