Am2?

serani

In Runtime
So I've been out of the most recent loop of computer advancments, the new(er) AMD AM2 socket, using say an Athlon 64 ;

is it an improvment over the 939's (using Athlon 64 as well) ?

Really?

Well thats good to know I guess, but is it worth it, if building a new computer soon to go for the AM2?

- in details does it have anything to do with vista later on? Or even more dx10 ?

AM2 is Vista capable. I believe DX10 is more of a video card issue. If I were to use AMD, I would use Socket AM2 instead of Socket 939 unless cost is a factor. AM2 systems do cost a bit higher than 939. You would also be able to take advantage of the extra memory bandwidth and performance which DDR2 RAM can give you. It's not a huge difference, but it is better.

Also, of course, you would be able to take advantage of future processors with the AM2 platform. There will be no further new processors released for Socket 939.

"There will be no further new processors released for Socket 939."

Thats what I needed to hear, thank you.

Yup, Socket 939 is officially gone with the wind, dinosaur extinction, cavemen quality, Ronald Regan of the past, fossilized for life. I don't even know if you can get Socket 939 supported CPU anymore. Maybe there are limited supplies of them until they run out, but none are being produced.

Phew good to know, now a seperate question if you don't mind:

Multi-tasking specific, but still able to pound out the heavy gaming;

the new(er) X2 or the 64 series?

I've been a fan of the 64 for a while now, but is the X2 multiprocess the way to go?

toole said:
Phew good to know, now a seperate question if you don't mind:

Multi-tasking specific, but still able to pound out the heavy gaming;

the new(er) X2 or the 64 series?

I've been a fan of the 64 for a while now, but is the X2 multiprocess the way to go?
Go for the X2. And the Athlon X2 series is part of the Athlon 64 series, technically it's Athlon 64 X2.

Most new games coming out are going to utilize dual-core as well.

TRDCorolla said:
AM2 is Vista capable. I believe DX10 is more of a video card issue. If I were to use AMD, I would use Socket AM2 instead of Socket 939 unless cost is a factor. AM2 systems do cost a bit higher than 939. You would also be able to take advantage of the extra memory bandwidth and performance which DDR2 RAM can give you. It's not a huge difference, but it is better.

Also, of course, you would be able to take advantage of future processors with the AM2 platform. There will be no further new processors released for Socket 939.

yeah ddr2 is gonna be far more faster in the near future even as of now i got OCZ ram at 800 MHZ dual channel compared to my old rig was pc3200 @ 333 mhz...lol

Back
Top Bottom