Is Vista worth it!?

rswan12 said:
will my video card support direct x 10 WELL

Probably won't support it at all, unless it's near literally brand new. IIRC there's only 2-3 D3D10 capable cards in existence right now.

XXXXXXX never use vista, i wouldnt recommend vista for any user, pro or not... i just spent 2 grand on desktop pc's and got so frustratied with vista i uninstalled and put XP, dont use it, its full of spam, and useless options and security bullshit XXXX microsoft for wasting there time on that, its garbage... and they wonder why everyone hacks, vista will never compair to xp, and i dare to say that 2000 or even ME edition is better then this.

Bad language deleted, any more will incur a ban.

Everyone is intitled to his/her opinion, although i would probably agree with you..as i have said once before, i will wait for Micro$oft to get it's act together and fix all the bugs once and for all in it's OSes. It's know wonder so many are turning to Linux or Mac.

Vista is a beautiful OS ever. It's great but the only thing right now is the lack of support. My TV Tuner card doesn't work it turns out because there are no Vista drivers available for it yet. I'm still getting this annoying error message with my monitor not being compatible with Vista. If it's not compatible, how am I able to view what I'm typing now, lol? My scanner doesn't work either because it's an older Epson model. Now its just one big paper weight.

That's what you're going to be dealing with when getting Vista now. If most of your hardware are super new, check for Vista compatiblity with them on their main manufacturer's website. Then get Vista when all checks out.

Im having no problems at all, even my old epson printer works (8 yrs old). I just setup dual boot with XP, incase of incompatabilities. I miss the sidebar when i switch back to XP tho, i like having radio 1 playing, and the post it note thing was handy :)

The third party Sidebar (from www.sidebar.com) is the best. Way better than the Windows Sidebar. Stupid Windows VIsta won't let you add other sites with RSS fee!!!! I hate it. Every news coming from Vista is Microsoft or general news. THat's the only grip I have with it. Plus the RSS windows is so small and there's no way to make it longer. Printer support has always been a strong point for Vista. My old printer picked right up since it's an HP. Didn't even need a drivers disc or download.

I tried to hoop up my Epson scanner to Vista and hopefully, it would support it too. It detects it, but then a popup gave me an error message saying that the hardware is not supported. It would be so cruel if Microsoft programmers would add the word, "Sorry" at the end.

It's a fast OS regardless and I do love it. I have Office 2007 Pro installed on it. Wow, what a program. Totally different. Only thing is I have to save it as office 97-2003 so I can use it on school's computer. Old files from previous office versions automatically engages Office's Compatibility Mode which is neat.

TRDCorolla said:
The third party Sidebar (from www.sidebar.com) is the best. Way better than the Windows Sidebar.
Have you used this? Any problems with it?
Printer support has always been a strong point for Vista. My old printer picked right up since it's an HP. Didn't even need a drivers disc or download. I tried to hoop up my Epson scanner to Vista and hopefully, it would support it too.
I had no problems with my scanner, i recently replaced it with a lide500F, and Vista installed it with no problems.
I have Office 2007 Pro installed on it. Wow, what a program. Totally different. Only thing is I have to save it as office 97-2003 so I can use it on school's computer. Old files from previous office versions automatically engages Office's Compatibility Mode which is neat.
Ive got office 2007 installed on the Vista installation aswell, i havent really used it much, im quite happy with 2003. Although i did notice the compatability mode, when i loaded a 2003 file in the other day.

I still get a grin when that compatiblity mode kicks in. It's probably no big deal as office has always supported legacy office programs, but just the fact that it actualy says it across the title bar is neat, lol. The third party sidebar, I haven't installed on Vista yet. I had it for XP and it's great. You could also adjust the transparency too, just like the Windows Sidebar, but it has tons more features and the performance monitor is off the hook!!! Way more detailed than Vista's version.

I'm sure it will run well on Vista machine, since I don't see any proprietary issues blocking the software itself. It's mainly a resource monitor, news feed, calendar, time, quick launch, temperature details (way better than Vista), media player, etc. Everything that Vista already does.

Back
Top Bottom