Can I use solar power to run my computer?

MidwestComputer

In Runtime
Hi Guys
I am just wondering if I would use solar power to run my computer because I was thinking building a web server and I wanted to use solar power to run my web server and I dont know what to use to convert the power from the solar panels to the computer? can I use a car battery or what? Thanks Tim

dont know about circuit design or how it will work , my first comment is it is probably possible , but it will probably be hard ,also it is not a very reliable source of electricity as it relies on the weather .also it will probably be expensive as well

i think just pay the electricity bill

I doubt solar panels of a small enough size could generate 400+ watts of power, even on a sunny day.
Definitely not for a server that has to be operational all the time.

I would have to agree w/that, i would'nt want the power flucuations or on cloudy days..it would be a useless concept, but i do believe it can be done.

ColdwaterCS said:
Hi Guys
I am just wondering if I would use solar power to run my computer because I was thinking building a web server and I wanted to use solar power to run my web server and I dont know what to use to convert the power from the solar panels to the computer? can I use a car battery or what? Thanks Tim

Yeah but you need HUGE solar panels. At least 15m2 of panels i'd say.

Than you need a battery that the panels will charge (car battery does fine) as well. You need an inverter to convert DC to AC than

I've seen neat applications using this in 3rd world country schools. They power a basic computer and a TV set off of solar. However they don't run them the entire day.

sorry to repeat what just about everyone has said i.e expensive impratical with weather unless you live in a desert pluss you got to add storage capacitors in the equazion for night time tricky concept . I recon 10 to 15 years down the line before we get technolodgy good enough to make it a pratical solution to powering your PC plus 10 to 15 years more global warming should help to.

LoL you would have to mount it like right next to the sun to get all that power..

Back
Top Bottom