Computer won't turn on

JRL4k

Beta member
Today i plugged in a usb digital camera into my computer and locked up, so i turned it off and when i tryed to turn it back on it did nothing. Couple days ago when it was booting it got to the boot off my thumb drive and it locked when i turned it off it kind of pulsated on and off, i turned off the power supply and let it sit for a minute turned on the power supply and got it to boot and then today it just didn't turn on.

I unhooked every peice of hardware and then hooked up my 6 fans, 2 old hard drives at 7500 rpms, and my dvd burner to the psu, jumped it with a paper clip and everything came on just fine. I letit for 5 minutes and not a single problem.

I was wondering if my power supply or motherboard have blown out?

Specs:
Ultra ATX 500 Watt ps
ASUS P4GE-MX Mobo
1.5 Gig's of Kingston ValueRam DDR (1gig and 512 mb)
Lite-On DVD Burner
250 Gig western digital 7500 RPM
200 Gig western digital 7500 RPM
ATI Radeon 9800 SE overclocked with zalman heatsink and fan
P4 2.53 ghz
Creative Sound Blaster Live 24-bit
4 Case Fans

Start adding the other components 1 at a time, and test it. This should show if you have a dodgy part. Is your PSU branded, or cheap?

It's an Ultra PSU. I think they are fine, my friend has been running one for a few months with no problems. But that doesn't mean that his PSU hasn't gone bad.

Make sure everything is connected good, RAM seated right, video card seated right, cpu seated right, and check if the motherboard is shorting against the case.

I know nothing is lose because it's all been locked in very secure and i haven't added anything new for months now or moved my comp. When i plug everything in except the motherboard and short the psu on they all turn on. I also did forgot to add this the little light that say power is getting to the mobo isn't on. Based on deduction that everything else works, except the mobo that the psu is good.

You might want to invest in an inexpensive case/power supply to use for diag purposes. Doesn't hurt to have a spare case kicking around.

Back
Top Bottom