Everything has gone wrong!!!

Something that PSU does is actually corrupt the stuff in a PC. It's possible that the drive's dead. Try another drive in the PC.

If that doesn't do, it could be your onboard IDE controller is fried. You can either replace the board or get a PCI IDE/SATA controller.

Alright, ive learned a few interesting things. When I have my 160 GB drive in by itself, the bios reckognize it as a normal 160GB hard drive, but if I have anything else hooked uup with it, it starts reckognizing it as the wrong size and the model number is all jambled up. im thinking that im gonna need a new mobo and a new hd to fix this problem.

sounds like a cable or jumper problem, are you sure they have been configured properly after you have played about with them?

im sure its not a cable and jumper problem. Right now I know that my mobo out of commission, the ide controller is definately fried. Also I know that my 80 GB hard drive is fried...i put it into another computer, and it wouldnt spin, it just got hot. And, my dvd burner is fried as well. What would make sense for these two things to get fried but not my other HD. These two were on separate IDE cables, but I do believe they were on the same power cable. I think im just gonna work hard the next 3-4 weeks, and buymyself a non-intel mobo so that that will be better than the D865perl for overclocking, and im gonna try to rma my WD 80GD HD through WD and see if I can get a replacement. And ill prolly have to buy a new DVD burner, it has burnt close to 1000 dvds, so it was prolly close to the end of its time anyways.

For it to have caused a lot of things to break im leaning towards a short. IF the IDE controller was shorting on the case then that might have sent a shock thru the cable into the drives...

And like has already been said, be very careful with static, if u walk bare footed on a carpet whilst fixing the pc, this will create build ups of static, not good for pcs. Hope you get it all fixed, and next time you put it together double check that the board is sat ok in the case and no rogue screws have come loose or r touching the board where theyre not supposed to be.

Try putting it all together outside of the case on a non conductive surface (like a hardwood floor). If it works that way, it was a short.

Back
Top Bottom