Everything has gone wrong!!!

free_rider20

Solid State Member
I got a new computer case today, the Raidmax Smilodon with a 500W power supply. The power supply seemed solid so I left it in instead of the 450 JPAC i used previously. I got everything installed and it worked flawlessly for 4 or 5 hours. I needed to restart my computer, and thats when everything went to hell. It stopped recognizing my boot drive, and my 160 GB data drive only shows up in bios as 8 GB. Also, before my bios load it starts telling me I have an inappropriate RAM setup, which i know is right. Also, I cannot get my DVD burner drive to be found by the bios. I have tried swapping cables, changing jumpers, cleared cmos, tried my old power supply. Do you think the new power supply is faulty and messed up my motherboard? I am pretty knowledgeable and all my friends come to me for help, but i just cannot seem to figure this one out.

I'd check for the IDE connections if they are firmly inserted. IF that doesn't do, then I'd try to reset CMOS and then try to pwer on with the old PSU.

It could have been a BIOS that hung. Mine did that and I ended up RMAing my board.

ive checked the IDE connections, and replaced the IDE cables. I've tried a different power supply, and ive cleared the cmos. None of this seemed to be any help. I also put my boot drive into another computer and it wouldn't recognize it.

The drive could have died. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. You have it set to master, all connections plugged it, and it won't recognize the drive in the bios, right?

So nothing has changed apart from the PSU and swapping everything out to a different case? Is it possible that there is a short somewhere between the case and the mobo. Also a possibility that you have damaged something with ESD when you swapped it out, did you use an antistatic wrist band?

Static electricity can kill your pc. But all you need to do to discharge it is to touch the metal walls inside of your case. You might have to do it while it's plugged in, if the source I read it from somewhere is right.

You do not need to plug the computer in to effectively elliminate the static problem mate:). You just need to make sure that you and the computer have the same tribo-electric charge.

Back
Top Bottom