Wireless Routing at School

wedroptozero

Baseband Member
I am at a college and I am trying to set up a wireless router in my room because I own both a laptop and a desktop. I have a linksys WRT54G router that is currently working as a switch. However, I would like to be able to access the wireless function. I have been told that you can't do this because of a conflict with the DHP servers. However, I was wondering if there is any way around this so I can enjoy wireless.

Can you not use it as a router? The WAN interface is going to grab an IP from the school network, and you should be able to use it as a router, and have your own IP addresses and wireless network setup. The beauty of this is, that you can be online with both at the same time, while the school only sees traffic coming from one IP address. Matter of fact, I think I'm using the same router. My router is assigned an address by DHCP from my ISP, and my internal network is assigned IP's by my router- should be no different at your school.

For some reason it won't let me access the internet during the setup process where it tries to get an IP address... can I maybe figure out the IP assigned to my wall jack and use that?

Update - ok I have it half-working... It will try to connect but be unable to get the network address. I have the router setup for Static IP with a DNS 1 of 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP server feature disabled.

wedroptozero said:
For some reason it won't let me access the internet during the setup process where it tries to get an IP address... can I maybe figure out the IP assigned to my wall jack and use that?

Update - ok I have it half-working... It will try to connect but be unable to get the network address. I have the router setup for Static IP with a DNS 1 of 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP server feature disabled.
Perhaps the college has a security block installed?

Back
Top Bottom