Computer is nuts

lhuser

Golden Master
OK well, I have tested for power options, an unfinished used S462 board. It recieves power, but there is no CPU and RAM. I'll have to get some.

Now, As I power my stuff up, all, but the HDD spins. However, if I remove the IDE cable, it will spin, and bare with me, it is in the right position. I changed wires and that doesn't do. The last time it did that, it resolved on a PSU to fry in front of me, but it had a CPU on it. The board gives me the 4 red lights signal, and that error is that there is a problem with the CPU. Of course there is, there's none!

Anyways, I'm wondering this:

Since I have no CPU, can that disallow the HDD to spin up, as it gets no command from the IDE cable?

That is a good question- and I've had a 1000 or more hard drives in my hands over the course of my career, and I can't say 100% sure that the hard drive spins with only power. I am however, 98% sure they do, that it's independent of the board, and IDE cable, as the IDE cable is mainly for data. I'm trying it tomorrow!

Does the hard drive spin in another computer? (If possible)
I'll let you know!:)

Oh yeah, the drive will spin on any other PC. All is actually fine on the board, just, it doesn't have a PSU. Some boards turns off the drives and on by a command.

When Windows goes on standby, it powers off from a wire...I think it's Pin 1. However, my theory is, since I have no CPU, there's nothing actualy being done on it. I'm waiting for a Duron/Athlon 600-1400 for that. I could try a 2000+ CPU, but without a heatsink and support, I'm in trouble. I've seen a 2700+ CPU destroy a PC for that.

Back
Top Bottom