Win XP Pro not retaining network settings

RACS

Beta member
I am having some issues with some teachers taking their laptops home and connecting to their own personal home networks. What happens is, they take the laptop home, get on their network at home, then bring the laptop back to work the next day. When they try to get on our campus network, they are unable to access any webpages. Windows shows that there is a good wireless signal, but it will not connect to our network. We are unable to ping our own server here either with the laptop.

To resolve the problem, I had to do an 'ipconfig /release' & 'ipconfig /renew'. This allowed us to get back onto our campus network. This is not a suitable solution though for this problem.

Is there some setting I need to adjust in Windows that will allow these laptops to connect to various network? Is this a profile issue?

Thanks.

Could it be, that the network adapter's gateway gets changed or somthing? also, couldnt you save the commands that make it work, save them into a batch file, and set it to run at startup?

Not sure how their laptops are setup, but you could set the wireless to connect to the school network, and the wired for their home network.

Back
Top Bottom