Cooling Problems, Computer Turning OFF!

deanos63

Baseband Member
HI everyone,

I have a small problem, i'm sure some of you have heard of it before.

When playing a game like the NEW ArmA Armed Assault or microsoft flight sim 2004 my computer will turn off. No shut down just OFF!

I researched this problem and found out that the P4 has a protection system built in which will stop it from overheating and blowing up. I assumed this would be easily solved, i pulled off my old heatsink and fan and brought a brand NEW zalman CNPS9500 with the biggest copper heat sink you have ever seen and a fan with a little LED! this baby will keep the heat away, SORTED................. so i thought! a few seconds in to armed assault and BAM! off it goes again!

Prior to buying the zalman i also added two seperate fans to fit on the back of the case inside + my PC, + PCI slot exhaust fan + a seperate fan on the front for the HD's and my graphic card is a nvidia Geforce 6800 GT with artic cool.

I'm not a computer technician but i know my way about enough too know that i have enough FANS! I also have up to date virus and spamware killer on my PC.

This leaves one thing, my power supply? which is currently a 400W..... surley this is enough? could i need more? this is the question i need answering, but i would like someone to confirm this could be the case, my PC never ever turns off when i am browsing the interne, working or if it just sits there idle. Only when playing high end demanding 3D games. HELP!

2 x 80GB hard drives
2GB RAM
Geforce 6800GT
3.2Ghz P4
400WATT Power Supply
3 FANS
ZALMAN CNPS9500 CPU FAN

6800 might be old but its a power hungry decent card! what are the values on the 12v rails of the psu? u need 20 for that card if my memory serves me right. 400w might be a bit under too. My pc used to turn off and it was the psu's 12v railings under powered...

Yeah, i would change the PSU, mine is 600w and ive got the same graphics card (although i do have a lot more extras than you)

plus i my PSU is a JEANTECH, which i just found out is a piece of crap!

what does the 12v rails mean??

Should be a label on the psu, on it will be a sign saying 12v and below it a reading for instance 15A. thats the ampeage. Your card needs a higher ampeage than most. If u can find the 12v label on the psu and tell us it we will know if the psu is capable. Some psus have dual 12vs so it will have 2 12v readings.

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83627HF (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type National LM89 (NV-I2C 4Ch)

Temperatures
Motherboard 27 °C (81 °F)
CPU 34 °C (93 °F)
Aux 25 °C (77 °F)
GPU 50 °C (122 °F)
GPU Ambient 40 °C (104 °F)
WDC WD800BB-00DKA0 28 °C (82 °F)
WDC WD800EB-00DJF0 36 °C (97 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1776 RPM
Chassis 1467 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.38 V
Aux 1.87 V
+3.3 V 3.47 V
+5 V 5.19 V
+12 V 12.34 V
-12 V 3.11 V
-5 V 3.85 V
+5 V Standby 5.14 V
VBAT Battery 0.24 V
Debug Info F 5F 73 FF
Debug Info T 27 34 25
Debug Info V 56 75 D9 C1 CB DB E6 (01)

that is what everest says. plus on the side of the PSU it says 12v1 15AMP 12v2 17AMP

The ampeage seems fine then! might be the wattage. Im not great with psu's someone with the card might be able to help better, id have thought urs shud have run it ok , but being a cheaper brand maybe it isnt what it says it is wattage wise.

Back
Top Bottom