british vs american words

Sidewalk = pavement

I remember when I lived in the States, and the kids of the girl that I used to be with, used to find it funny that I would ask them to hoover up, as opposed to vacuum or sweep..

I also used to get funny looks when I was in a restaurant and asked for tomato sauce, or even worse Daddy's.......could not get that over there for love or money!!!

Speaking of languages, what do you guys think about conlangs (constructed languages)? Do you think in the future the whole world will speak a universal language...or should it?

Thoughts...

Trucks are called lorries in the UK, I think.
Gasoline is called petrol in the UK. That's what I've heard people from there say.

Mmm, I still love the phrase "Bloody Hell" in an English accent. Even though you guys probably don't say it every two seconds like they do in the movies, every once in a while I hear a British guy say it.

I remember this one British kid that whenever someone would get him mad, he'd be like "you tramp". Do you guys ever use that one?

lol, "the only british idiom i know is that "fag" means cigarette", "well then someone tells these cigarettes to get outta here"

luckyduck said:
[fanny] means something located not too far from the bottom correct?

Hey Lucky, i havent seen ya around for a while...Good to see you posting agian, i thought you left us or something. Yeah, it's funny how words differ between two country's...lol

like for instance if a woman was to carry around a purse or a pocketbook if you live in the tri-state area, but i wonder what it would be called in the UK ?

Back
Top Bottom