My Upgrade List - Opinions Please

BGates14

In Runtime
Right now I am very satisfied with my computer. I don't specifically need major upgrades but you always want them, plus it's fun to get. Heres my specs now and what I plan to eventually get over time, what I am looking for is which upgrades I should get first or which would be the best to help out my build.

Computer As of Now:
Motherboard: Asus CrossHair
Processor: AMD 64 5200+ x2
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA
Memory: 2GB Corsair 6400 (2 x 1GB)
Video: eVGA GeForce 8800GTX
PSU: OCZ GameXtream 700w
Case: Thermaltake Tsunami Dream

Upgrade list:
Case: Cooler Master Stacker (with around 5 fans)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 150GB / Western Digital Caviar 500GB
Memory: Another 2GB Corsair 6400 (2 x 1GB) or 1 x 2GB
Video: Another eVGA GeForce 8800GTX (Sli)
PSU: Enermax Galaxy Modular PFC 1000w

With my first upgrade this week I will have around $550 - $600. Right now I am leaning twoards the case with fans and controller, and possibly either hard drive or a zalman heatsink/fan. The case would be fun to get as I love building and messing with my computer, so it brings back the fun in switching everything around and it would clean my case more. Looking for any suggestions or should I get something different that would help me more.

okay, that is gonna be one h3** of aa computer. I would get 2x1gb of ram, so you have 4 sticks, and plan on making the switch to intel core2duo quad core before you go for the ram, the videocard or the psu.

Aunt is pretty wealthy and she gives out money for christmas, which chained me to getting initial upgrades and then I had almost a full computer of parts sitting around which I sold, and then I just sold a few of my guitars that I don't play, etc.

Instead of getting another 8800, sell the one you have and get a Radeon X2900XTX. Apparently it's going to own the 8800 series.

I'll look into the Radeon X2900XTX but won't jump right on that. I'll hesitate to get another 8800gtx until I find out more on the X2900XTX, didn't hear about them until you mentioned it.

So far I have no objections to getting the case, and thats what I am looking into getting this week. Does anyone have any other opinions on any of the parts?

As for switching over to Intel, I am a pretty big fan of AMD, I haven't really looked into or wanted to switch to Intel. Right now I would think the quad is a waste due to the fact that duo's aren't even really taken full advantage of, so why quad? After I am satisfied with this computer maybe I will have it as a small side project but not really looking into it right now.

BGates14 said:
So far I have no objections to getting the case, and thats what I am looking into getting this week. Does anyone have any other opinions on any of the parts?

As for switching over to Intel, I am a pretty big fan of AMD, I haven't really looked into or wanted to switch to Intel. Right now I would think the quad is a waste due to the fact that duo's aren't even really taken full advantage of, so why quad? After I am satisfied with this computer maybe I will have it as a small side project but not really looking into it right now.
Just the regular dual core Core 2 Duos destroy the AMDs. I agree that most people don't need the quad-core, but the Core 2 Duos are simply amazing.

Yeah. I would have gotten one, but to find a motherboard that I like, plus the processcor, plus ddr2 ram would have cost an extra 200 is (a lot, considering I actucally only spent $100 out of pocket), and I figured I could live with the AMD, considering I previously have a 200 mghz comp.

But Yeah. The Core2duos now cost about the same as the AMD ones (as far as compatle mobos, and ram), and It would be a wise move to jump to core2duo, with a quad core compatable mobo.

Back
Top Bottom