Upgrading PC for gaming

gtipton55

Solid State Member
Alright well I dont know to much about computers but I want to upgrade my PC even more for gaming.

This is what I have:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
1g Ram

Video Card
ATI Radeon 1950x Pro
256MB memory

I want to upgrade to 2gig or 3gig of ram and probably a new motherboard. I recently bought that video card and I think its fine the main thing im looking at is my board and CPU anyone have any recomendations? I dont wanna spend anything to high but maybe in the $500 range or somewhere close to that.

If anyone could post some websites to show me or anything let me know! :D

THANKS!

what games you planning on playing
but yeah ram is a good way to go

well Supreme Commander is comming out soon and the requirments on that is rediculous like 3gigs of ram and even more. Im thinking of upgrading to atleast 2Gig of ram maybe even 3 and a core 2 duo CPU I also played world of warcraft and im also into games like Counter Strike, half life 2, and Battlefield 2142.

One thing to remember, Xp has trouble wit 4gb of ram, 3gb seems to recognise ok i think, altho have heard people saying theirs only sees 2. Core Duo would also be a good choice for gaming! nice and fast.

LambOfGod not disagreeing with u in a mean way :) but im my experience i got huge increase in performance from going from 1 to 2gb. If u play stuff like Fear, Company of heroes, Oblivion etc 2gb is way to go, was playing COH and it used up 980mb alone, crazy how much games want nowadays.

Anubis1980 said:
LambOfGod not disagreeing with u in a mean way :) but im my experience i got huge increase in performance from going from 1 to 2gb. If u play stuff like Fear, Company of heroes, Oblivion etc 2gb is way to go, was playing COH and it used up 980mb alone, crazy how much games want nowadays.

yea i am all for 2 gigs of ram. He just dont have the cash.

And if it was me, thats were i would skimp because its an easy thing to upgrade in the future.

yo thanks all of yall for helping me appreciate it ill definetly look into it I just downloaded the Supreme Commander demo and im running that fine but I think im gonna get some better stuff tho. Thanks for all yalls help!

gtipton55 said:
well Supreme Commander is comming out soon and the requirments on that is rediculous like 3gigs of ram and even more. Im thinking of upgrading to atleast 2Gig of ram maybe even 3 and a core 2 duo CPU I also played world of warcraft and im also into games like Counter Strike, half life 2, and Battlefield 2142.
Where are you getting your information from?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Commander#System_requirements

Minimum

* Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista
* 1.8 GHz processor
* 512 MB RAM
* 8GB available hard drive space
* 128MB video RAM or greater
* Video card must support geometry instancing
* December 2006 release of DirectX 9.0c

Recommended

* Windows Vista (for DirectX 10)
* 3.0 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD processor or better (A dual-core processor is greatly recommended for acceptable performance.)
* 1GB RAM
* 256 MB Video RAM, with DirectX 9 Vertex Shader/Pixel Shader 2.0 support (Nvidia 6800 or better)
* Internet connection with Cable/DSL speeds[2]

hey thanks for posting that I had no idea I went to gamestop.com and looked at the requirements from them and it was totally off thank you for that appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom